• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Squirrel Drama

What would you do?

• Total voters
I knew a guy that rescued and raised a litter of these things and set them free in his back yard. I never witnessed it but he said he could sit out on his back deck at night and whistle and they would come see him.
We had wild rabbits in the backyard living in Lincoln Park (Chicago) and fed them apple slices. It wasn't a year before they'd come up on to the deck and stand on their haunches begging with their forearms waving when they saw us. LOL.

Havingg raised two baby squirrels, I recommend going to pet smart and get kitten formula and bottle. When it gets older, feed it rabbit food with bird seed with sunflower seeds. They make good pets, but only live a couple of years. My Dad got a lg wood cable spool, covered it with rabbit wire, cut a hole in the spool so the lil guy could go inside. add branches to climb and to chew. Your kids will love you. ps, if startled, they WILL bite!
I put a squirrel trap up on my eve about a month ago, when some squirrels got into my attic. Today my dogs are going nuts and it turns out we have caught a baby squirrel. Needless to say the wife and children, who have no problem with me killing a grown squirrel, are having a fit over this adorable little long haired rat. So my ODT brothers and sisters, What say you?

View attachment 1101218

They say now to feed baby squirrels puppy milk. Has more of the protein they need. When the wife and I raised a couple a few years ago, we used kitten milk. Worked fine for us. We found them when they were pinkies, very small. They get crazy when they get older though.
We were just talking about raising some more if we find any this year. My youngest son was just born when we did it last and wants to do it very badly. We told we'll see, but also said we don't normally see baby squirrels too often. But he keeps hoping lol.

IMG_5626.JPG

Back
Top Bottom