• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stake your AR15 castle nut.

Name some.

My PSA and Doublestar, factory built lowers are not stalked. ( I'm 99% sure, I have to go to the safe to look.) Anyway go to a gun store and look at rifles, and see how many are stalked.

@ mtdawg169 I have had a few RRA factory built lowers and never ran across one w/ red locktite when I changed the back plate. I'm not sayin' they never did it, I just havent seen it... And I'd be waaay pissed if my RRA LAR-8 had red locktite on the castle nut. ( I'll have to check to see if its stalked, I know its at the front of the gun safe where I can get to it.) But yea, the M4 style rifles should be stalked from the factory.

From what I've seen most don't stake or Loctite, staking is the way to go but as many "home builds" out there I prefer the first guy to not do it so I can easily change out his parts, lol.

From what I've seen most don't stake or Loctite, staking is the way to go but as many "home builds" out there I prefer the first guy to not do it so I can easily change out his parts, lol.
That or if you like to bust your rifle apart and swap out parts a lot, sometimes I could see just a dab of blue Loctite instead of staking if you have a more expensive QD/ ambi sling mount plate that wouldn't allow for multiple staking.

Better to just stake it and leave it alone though. Lowers/parts are so cheap right now it easier to just get another or multiple end plates if you want to change it up a lot.

Just my opinion, but if it's not staked it just needs to be torqued to the minimum 40 ft/lbs. No loctite. There are appropriate uses for loctite on an AR, but the castle nut isn't one of them. Aside from that, I would at least ensure that your "go-to" home defense / training gun was staked correctly. The range toys, just for fun builds or guns that seem to always rebuild themselves aren't necessarily as critical. I stake all of mine, but it does suck to have to restake a nice QD endplate. If you're using a standard endplate, just chuck it in the trash and use a new one.

I love all my RRA's I like that they don't do it bc I like to change those out to the one I really want on them anyways and then have it staked.

I haven't seen the red on them.

Some people just get a little carried away and worry wayyyy too much that their gun is going to fall apart.
Until it actually does. I've seen them come loose. Personally, I don't want to ever have to check it. I want to torque it down, stake it and forget that it's even there.

Yeah, a torch is a much more appropriate tool for firearms. What do you think staking does to the threads when you back it off? Who cares, it's a $20 part...
I guess staking should be required for someone that doesn't know anything about their weapon...

Back
Top Bottom