• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stake your AR15 castle nut.

To steak...I mean stake, I use a center punch and a hammer. Would love to get the spring loaded auto but I've probably done my last lower for a while.

Btw, I've never f'd up with the punch and hammer but you definitely have to take your time.

I stake every end plate. It is quick and easy. Use an auto punch to displace a little metal and then hit the staked spo with a cold blue pen. Done. End plates are less than 5.00 to replace. I always stake 2 spots.

Attachments

• stake!.jpg
    stake!.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 38
And for what its worth if there was one thing I could urge Daniel Defense to change it would be their end plate. They use an aluminum end plate that doesn't stake as well steel end plates. They only stake it in one spot vs 2, and they cover the resulting mark with a paint marker since the aluminum end plate wont take bluing. When I removed the castle nut from my DD the staked aluminum offered no resistance, and because the aluminum stake spot sheared off instead of bending I'm not sure about restaking... and replacements cost $35.00. Yay.

And for what its worth if there was one thing I could urge Daniel Defense to change it would be their end plate. They use an aluminum end plate that doesn't stake as well steel end plates. They only stake it in one spot vs 2, and they cover the resulting mark with a paint marker since the aluminum end plate wont take bluing. When I removed the castle nut from my DD the staked aluminum offered no resistance, and because the aluminum stake spot sheared off instead of bending I'm not sure about restaking... and replacements cost $35.00. Yay.
The steel ones more or less shear off as well. Sounds like a good excuse to replace it with a better one (steel) from IWC, BCM or Noveske for less $$.

I don't stake my castle nuts on my carbines because some days they are carbines and some days they are rifles. I'm always swapping furniture around between collapsible sop mod stuff a2 or ace fixed stocks. I do have a couple I'm happy with...maybe I'll stake those...no...better see how they look and feel with a fixed stock first (again). It's like AR Barbie dress up over here. Freaking mountain life has it's perks but it can also be boring as hell.

I don't stake my castle nuts on my carbines because some days they are carbines and some days they are rifles. I'm always swapping furniture around between collapsible sop mod stuff a2 or ace fixed stocks. I do have a couple I'm happy with...maybe I'll stake those...no...better see how they look and feel with a fixed stock first (again). It's like AR Barbie dress up over here. Freaking mountain life has it's perks but it can also be boring as hell.
Sounds like you need more lower receivers

Back
Top Bottom