• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Starter or alternator help, advice, suggestions

Mr. Goodbar

Default rank 5000+ posts
Savage Hooligan
109   0
Reaction score
seems like I can't catch a break. Will google and YouTube shortly but their are a lot of savvy guys on here. Maybe a two week old battery installed, just as a note cause I've never seen this but the old battery was hot, leaking acid, steaming when I took it out when replaced with a new one. Today the truck wouldn't start at the gym, of course my girl is driving it, but was able to jump it. Went to a gas station and wouldn't crank or jump apparently. Being towed to my house now. So she drives the truck all the time, not me, but one thing I noticed was it was raspy sounded when cranked on. It would crank over quick but the initial start up of a sec or two before coming on was raspy sounding. I'm thinking the starter but maybe the alternator isn't giving enough juice to crank it? Won't really know until I get my hands on it. Any tips to differentiate between the two? How hard is it to do one or the other in a 06 ford f 150? Any help, suggestions or advice, will be greatly appreciated.

Get a voltage reading from the battery when running. Assuming the new battery is good, the voltage should read upper 13-14 volts. You can also take it to a shop and have them load test your battery, check the voltage and test the amperage draw of the starter all with one tool.

Get a voltage reading from the battery when running. Assuming the new battery is good, the voltage should read upper 13-14 volts. You can also take it to a shop and have them load test your battery, check the voltage and test the amperage draw of the starter all with one tool.
Have to get it running first

Back
Top Bottom