• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steel core 5.45×39 ammo has now been banned

1. I listened to that phone call, it was not from copes/aim it was some neckbeard calling from his mom's basement. The point still stands, someone called ATF and the person answering the phone said 7N6 was banned.

2. Someone else also claimed to have called ATF, and they said the ATF has no record of this ban (see the first page of this thread).

3. Regarding your condescending econ 101 lecture, for a closed system, you are correct. Luckily for us the US ammo market is not a closed system. As long as cheap 5.45 surplus has been available, it has not been economically viable to make or import cheap commercial 5.45. Take away the surplus 5.45, and commercial 5.45 will take it's place, albeit slightly more expensive. But given the fact that the new de facto 5.45 surplus price is around 20 cpr, this isn't a huge loss. Now when surplus was under 13 cpr it would suck.

1. I am not sure which call you listened too as I haven't been able to find the one between AIM, Copes, and the ATF. I just saw where Copes posted they called the ATF and asked about it. Copes said Bryan from AIM was on the call as well and Bryan confirmed however said you don't hear him speak in the recording.

2. I don't know anything about that so I cannot comment.

3. I thought about that as well, I don't know if there is enough demand to cause the manufactures to ramp up production, and even if they do it will cost as much if not more than 7.62x39 and 5.56. At those prices most including myself will have no reason or interest in the 5.45. I would rather shoot 5.56 and can reload it for about what I paid for the last crate of 5.45 I purchased.

All good brother. I've taken some of the dirtiest jobs you can think of (like being an industrial housekeeper at a chicken feed mill for 8 months) to avoid taking hand-outs before. BUT if you'd like to shoot the AK with me - and try out some of my reloads in my Model 66 or the Makarov while we're at it - I wouldn't say no.

And Laxguy59's response made me LoL. Kudos.

Deal!

Did they sell out earlier this evening or stop selling?

If it is being reclassified as AP ammo then there is no reason for them to hold it back waiting for the price to increase. Once the letter goes out notifying everyone of the reclassification, it can no longer be imported and FFLs can no longer sell it. Still legal to sell on the private market and still legal to sell, but FFLs cannot sell it.

As I said, the only reason I play in the 5.45 game is the cheap price of the surplus 7n6 ammo. At commercial ammo prices I will shoot 5.56 instead. Luckily for me I have more 7n6 then I will probably ever need but it doesn't change the fact that I don't like the ATF wrecking a whole market overnight. Guess I will have to slow down on the mag dumps too.

Well if you read Cope's original post about 5.45 they say that all 5.45 will not be imported.
"Confirmed from the IMPORT BRANCH of the BATFE...Just got off the phone with them....Exact words No more Imports of 5.45x39 Ammo....... Don't hate me as we are OUT OF STOCK ALREADY..... Just delivering the message..."

Well if you read Cope's original post about 5.45 they say that all 5.45 will not be imported.
"Confirmed from the IMPORT BRANCH of the BATFE...Just got off the phone with them....Exact words No more Imports of 5.45x39 Ammo....... Don't hate me as we are OUT OF STOCK ALREADY..... Just delivering the message..."

I can't see why Copes or AIM would destroy their reputations by passing on bad information. If Copes and AIM are saying they confirmed it, I believe them. Neither have a reputation of spreading false rumors to boost sales and if the gun community is anything it is unforgiving.

Back
Top Bottom