• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steel vs Brass?

I have a norinco 84s in 5.56 that can't shoot brass as it tears the cases in half. Because of this I only have steel cases ammo for all my 5.56 guns. Never had a problem in well over 20k rounds over the past 8 years.

Not to mention steel gets stuck in the chamber more frequently than brass. This has happened to me and my other shooting buddies. Deadlines the gun until you get it unstuck which can be difficult sinces the rim usually gets ripped off too.

Last edited:
I have put well over 2k rounds of Tula and Academy .223, that "hard" steel has a layer of slick lacquer on it, so I doubt there is much actual steel to steel contact. I have had 0 failures and I have yet. If your gun won't shoot crap ammo, you need a new gun, period. Being picky or needy sucks in every aspect of life, picky/needy girlfriends suck, Cars that need special maintenance suck, and Guns that only work when you stoke their egos suck the worst.

Surplus are mostly steel... I shoot steel in all my AKs... Even my DPMS AR-15 spit steel rounds with no problem now.

I like how some people say they have really expensive guns, and it doesn't shoot steel and doesn't extract it well... Then maybe the gun is not spec'd well. I mean I completely understand if you only use brass because you reload, or because you like to keep your guns clean and you want extra insurance. That's good.

But I clean my guns after every trip to the range, and that pretty much mean weekly. I oil it well, and never had any problems shooting steel. I shoot often enough that I can rebuy the guns over and over with the saving.

Surplus are mostly steel... I shoot steel in all my AKs... Even my DPMS AR-15 spit steel rounds with no problem now.

I like how some people say they have really expensive guns, and it doesn't shoot steel and doesn't extract it well... Then maybe the gun is not spec'd well. I mean I completely understand if you only use brass because you reload, or because you like to keep your guns clean and you want extra insurance. That's good.

But I clean my guns after every trip to the range, and that pretty much mean weekly. I oil it well, and never had any problems shooting steel. I shoot often enough that I can rebuy the guns over and over with the saving.

My "duty" style weapons rarely get cleaned, even after many rounds my dirty AR's and Glocks work just fine with steel, granted I rarely use steel handgun ammunition as there is often similarly priced brass cased handgun ammo.

Not to mention steel gets stuck in the chamber more frequently than brass. This has happened to me and my other shooting buddies. Deadlines the gun until you get it unstuck which can be difficult sinces the rim usually gets ripped off too.

Then you have an out of spec chamber. Every one I have fixed for that problem was the same way. Use a finish reamer on it and matierial comes out... Too tight to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom