• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Such a thing as a decent deer rifle for $300

A Savage 111 in .243 is my "cheap" deer rifle.
It groups 1.5" at 100 yards (3 shot group from rest).
That's all I need.
I'd use it out to 300 yards for a broadside shot on a big deer, if I had a steady rest.
The gun was used at a pawn shop when I got it, and it came with a modest but appropriate scope, for $275, if I recall.

You can get a Savage Axis at Academy with a cheap scope for $300 + tax . it comes in an assortment of deer friendly calibers .243 and .308 as well as a few others , Hard to beat

Get a Savage 10 or 110 series (11/111 same thing) even if it's a used one. A lotta guys swear by the axis but I'm not at all a fan of the Axis.

-------------

I have an inexpensive deer rifle that I originally picked up (here on ODT, used) as a loaner for friends who might accompany me deer hunting but didn't have a suitable deer gun. I like it so much I'm making it my primary hunting rifle. I've enjoyed shooting it at the range and even entered a 600 yard rifle match with it, F-class, and while I didn't come close to winning any prizes I did get pretty decent groups I think for shooting that far out with cheap foreign factory ammo..

SAVAGE MODEL 10 in .243 Win

The homemade cheek riser consists of a synthetic hand towel or washcloth folded up and then taped to the stock with black duct tape. It allows me to have cheek weld even when my head is raised to the height necessary to look through the scope.

0DDA6842-2049-45A2-9143-AF4D5402AA70.jpeg
BF0920F4-7581-47B3-AB85-37C595905313.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom