• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suggestions for a good bug out rifle. What have you chosen and why?

It won't be long before everybody here knows me as the cheapo gun owner but I get "adequate" accuracy from a hipoint carbine. Never tried anything too long distance but I'd guesstimate 50yds acceptable combat accuracy. Give or take.
Oh the shame!

There are obviously a lot of different opinions for this but I personally think it's hard to narrow it down to just ONE being the BEST. However, I would be pretty comfortable with a Colt 6920/6720 or similar proven M4 pattern rifle OR an Arsenal SGL21/31 or SLR 107/104. Throw an Aimpoint T1 or H1 on any of these and call it a day.

Is it a chrome moly, stainless, or ptac?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-premium-5-56-nato-1-7-a2-profile-moe-rifle-kit.html

Barrel: This 16" chrome lined, Mil-B-11595E, chrome moly vanadium steel barrel is chambered in 5.56 NATO with a 1:7 twist, M4 barrel extensions, mid-length gas system, and has an A2-style profile. The barrel is high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected, and then phosphate coated. The barrel is finished off with a .750" diameter F-marked front sight base with sling swivel, Magpul MOE handguards, and an A2 flash hider. Barrel is made for us right here in Columbia by FN Manufacturing.

There are obviously a lot of different opinions for this but I personally think it's hard to narrow it down to just ONE being the BEST. However, I would be pretty comfortable with a Colt 6920/6720 or similar proven M4 pattern rifle OR an Arsenal SGL21/31 or SLR 107/104. Throw an Aimpoint T1 or H1 on any of these and call it a day.
I have thought about the Colt several times, also been quite curious about the new Springfield Saint. Also like the Galil and basic SP5K or Zenith copies. Are all these more reliable than less expensive firearms is the question I ask myself. I'm certain lots of quality goes into the builds, and I do want it to last a good long time, but I've noticed some higher end firearms are more ammo picky? Am I wrong in thinking that?

It won't be long before everybody here knows me as the cheapo gun owner but I get "adequate" accuracy from a hipoint carbine. Never tried anything too long distance but I'd guesstimate 50yds acceptable combat accuracy. Give or take.
Hey man, I have a Rohm .22 that not only functions perfectly, but is actually quite accurate at 10 yards even when shooting .22 short. I like it a lot, and probably won't ever get rid of it. Cost me $60 :)

Hard to say. Depends on the situation and what I have time to grab. If I had a choice of just one, it would be my SCAR. There are varying opinions on parts availibility, etc but, I don't see that matting as much unless you're toting spare parts. My AR is a full Anderson so, I can't say I'd trust for the long haul and the X95 I don't feel is entirely proven.

Besides, if you have a fatal confrontation that you survive, you'll be commandeering everything useful, including his rifle, etc.

Hard to say. Depends on the situation and what I have time to grab. If I had a choice of just one, it would be my SCAR. There are varying opinions on parts availibility, etc but, I don't see that matting as much unless you're toting spare parts. My AR is a full Anderson so, I can't say I'd trust for the long haul and the X95 I don't feel is entirely proven.

Besides, if you have a fatal confrontation that you survive, you'll be commandeering everything useful, including his rifle, etc.

I agree on the parts thing, field cleaning, etc. that's why I'd have to say over time any semi auto slowly becomes more of a hazard than anything. I'd consider this one just my "get me to the hills" kind of weapon. After that, I'd say a shotgun and a good rifle take over from there.

Back
Top Bottom