• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suggestions for a good bug out rifle. What have you chosen and why?

HVACGuy

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
136   0
Reaction score
Ok, so I've had lots and lots of rifles. I've managed to minimize everything down to practical and a few collectables (couldn't part with then all :) )
I'm trying to decide on a practical non budget breaking get out of Dodge rifle. You know, the one that gets you out of the s*#%storm, not the one you use once you're out of the fray. I would prefer to be able to practice with it a lot, and with cheap ammo that doesn't end up totally destroying it in the end, or cause excessive ftf and fte's.
What have you chosen or do you suggest, and why?

Ok, so I've had lots and lots of rifles. I've managed to minimize everything down to practical and a few collectables (couldn't part with then all :) )
I'm trying to decide on a practical non budget breaking get out of Dodge rifle. You know, the one that gets you out of the s*#%storm, not the one you use once you're out of the fray. I would prefer to be able to practice with it a lot, and with cheap ammo that doesn't end up totally destroying it in the end, or cause excessive ftf and fte's.
What have you chosen or do you suggest, and why?

Based on your criteria... I'd go with an AK. Reliability...plenty of cheap ammo, rugged..will handle all your abuse...can hunt deer with it if needed...

12 gauge pump shotgun. You can take big and small game, it will stop any person that gets close, (I wouldn't plan on getting into a long term fire fight or sniping since being gray and not seen would be the safest tactic), ammo is available at damn near every house in the country, very few parts to break, it's rugged and reliable. JMHO.

I have had multiple AK's and AR 15's, not that I'm opposed to getting them again. I will say I'm curious as to how well an AR runs with steel case, mostly worried about stove pipes. There's also the cleanliness factor. The do like to be clean and lots of very small parts... I imagine a higher end AR is better than the cheap ones with this...
As far as an AK, I've had good luck with them, but damn do they get hot to hold when you dump a mag, lol.
I'm not opposed to pistol caliber semi auto's, although I wonder how good they really are at 30-50 yards?

Back
Top Bottom