• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The 12 gauge, 14" barrel ,Mossberg 590 Shockwave . What say you ?

I had been wanting to make one of these for over a year but could not get a dealer to sell me the conversion kit outside of the NFA process. So, when I saw these come out, I jumped on getting one. Picked up one at AO and like it!

I think it's a lot of firepower for the compact size.
But, you give up a lot of point-ability without a shoulder stock.
This isn't going to handle like a Short-Barreled Shotgun that does have a stock you can either shoulder or just press against the side of your chest under your arm when you point, rather than aim.

I know that a 14" cylinder bore barrel isn't going to throw much wider of a pattern, if any wider at all, compared to an 18.5" typical "riot gun" barrel. My 12" barreled sawed-off 12 gauge gave me pretty tight patterns with buckshot-- less than 1 inch of spread per yard to the target. More like 3" of spread for every 4 yards.

P.S. I thought that the Mossberg "500" action would not reliably feed unusually short shotshells, like those tactical mini shells from Aguila. I've never tried them in a pump action myself, but I heard that only the Winchester 1200 / 1300 would handle them reliably, not the Moss 500 or Remmy 870 designs.

I think it's a lot of firepower for the compact size.
But, you give up a lot of point-ability without a shoulder stock.
This isn't going to handle like a Short-Barreled Shotgun that does have a stock you can either shoulder or just press against the side of your chest under your arm when you point, rather than aim.

I know that a 14" cylinder bore barrel isn't going to throw much wider of a pattern, if any wider at all, compared to an 18.5" typical "riot gun" barrel. My 12" barreled sawed-off 12 gauge gave me pretty tight patterns with buckshot-- less than 1 inch of spread per yard to the target. More like 3" of spread for every 4 yards.

P.S. I thought that the Mossberg "500" action would not reliably feed unusually short shotshells, like those tactical mini shells from Aguila. I've never tried them in a pump action myself, but I heard that only the Winchester 1200 / 1300 would handle them reliably, not the Moss 500 or Remmy 870 designs.
Don't know if you watched the whole video, near the end there's an adapter made by a TX company that seems to fix the short shell feed problem.
Just e-mailed them to try to get them to develop one for my beloved, but commercially unloved, Ithaca 37.

Back
Top Bottom