• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The 460 Rowland conversion.

Oh yeah, I like midway more than most other places, just don't like $2+ ammo. I suppose I'm cheap, I am constantly looking for .454 casull but the .460 seems to be the same price range so it won't make much difference.
Never hurts to shop around.
Right on.

I traded my Kimber Commander specifically so I could convert a government to 460 Rowland. I got a Springfield Loaded and it dropped in just fine. Point of impact went a little low, so I'm going to have adjustable night sights put on. With the comp, the recoil is less than a 45ACP. When shooting 45ACP through it (which you can do, BTW) the recoil is stupidly little.

I shoot full power hunting ammo with no problem at all. 200-Grain Hornady XTP Jacketed Hollow Point at 1420fps. Point of impact between the 45ACP and the 460 are identical out to 45 yards, so practice is cheap. I get my ammo from http://www.littlestonesrus.com/ . This is very high quality ammo at $66.00 per box of 50, so not to bad on price.

You're going to love this thing. Just the sound of the impact on the backstop will get your attention. SUMMACK!!!!

I traded my Kimber Commander specifically so I could convert a government to 460 Rowland. I got a Springfield Loaded and it dropped in just fine. Point of impact went a little low, so I'm going to have adjustable night sights put on. With the comp, the recoil is less than a 45ACP. When shooting 45ACP through it (which you can do, BTW) the recoil is stupidly little.

I shoot full power hunting ammo with no problem at all. 200-Grain Hornady XTP Jacketed Hollow Point at 1420fps. Point of impact between the 45ACP and the 460 are identical out to 45 yards, so practice is cheap. I get my ammo from http://www.littlestonesrus.com/ . This is very high quality ammo at $66.00 per box of 50, so not to bad on price.

You're going to love this thing. Just the sound of the impact on the backstop will get your attention. SUMMACK!!!!
Awesome, thanks for the heads up on the ammo as well bro. I can't wait to shoot this thing. I already love the look and feel of it. Now it all comes down to function. :)

I don't think the compesator's job is to dissipate gas to acp levels. All it is intended to do as far as i'm concerned is to dissipate gas upward to help with recoil and add weight to slow down the unlocking of the barrel. The latter could also be done with a heavier mainspring and a flat base firing pin stop. there is also the barrel slide and frame fit and bushing fit that come in to play in lock up of course. I would also would also use a shock buff. I don't blame you for not trying it with out the compensator. It's just something i always wondered. I guess i will try it my self one day. Good luck with your project.:)

I got my information from this quote:
Clark addressed the potential for over zealous slide movement problem by hanging a compensator on all 460 Rowland barrels. The compensator causes a partial pressure drop before the barrel drops and releases the slide, which dampens the slide's movement. The compensator is so effective, the 460 Rowland, with 30% more chamber pressure and 15%~20% more velocity, uses a lower recoil spring rate than a typical 45 Super conversion.

I found the adjustable sights on the Range Officer I used for the conversion helpful. I also fitted the Range officer with the one piece Hogue 1911 grip with finger grooves on the front to give myself better purchase when firing the pistol. I am very pleased with the set up. The only thing I want to do to it now is get a fiber optic front sight installed, but I have been to cheap or distracted to do it up to this point.

Back
Top Bottom