• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
One of the reasons USSR collapsed was that they could not keep up financially, that included all the medical and disability care.
Bullet selection was definite part of that equation.

I'm sure the fact that they were spending the same amount of money (dollars vs dollars) on their military as the US, however that equaled 25% of their GDP while it was only 5% of the US's, would have been sustainable had it not been for all those injuries in Afghanistan from all that 5.56 the Mujahadeen were using against them caused...... wait......

Free to a bad home. 9mm tupperware. Sissies only.

The room is spinning from all the fuddness.....

Attachments

• 20230216_143527.jpg
    20230216_143527.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 38
I think the stat was about 12000 rounds for every kill in battle. But injured? That’s another stat completely.
Russian doctrine was different than ours hence the 7.62x39 which was a more effective killing round.

Never thought of it myself until a three star explained it while we were deployed in Turkey.
I've heard that one of the nicknames the M16 received by US troops was "the meat axe" due to its ballistic effectiveness. It was supposedly compared to a shotgun blat at close range.

When you get a 55gr FMJ bullet fast enough to fragment it does crazy things to flesh. If you can find it, there were videos available online of Kyle Rittenhouse shooting those 3 guys from the riot in Kenosha Wisconson. The one guy who didn't die was shot in the bicep, and in some of the videos you can see a literal pink mist in the air where part of his bicep was literally vaporized.

5.56 NATO has a bad rap now because of 14.5" barrels and M855 slowing down the velocity of the round significantly. Give it the velocity it needs and 5.56 NATO is a top-tier performer.

Fatal_Bert Fatal_Bert and I vividly remember in our advanced training being taught shoot to wound. The Ivan’s had legs on them so we could shoot them in the knees.

We went through a lot together in Afghanistan. There’s a lot of 1 legged terrorists running around thanks to our efforts.

Fatal_Bert Fatal_Bert and I vividly remember in our advanced training being taught shoot to wound. The Ivan’s had legs on them so we could shoot them in the knees.

We went through a lot together in Afghanistan. There’s a lot of 1 legged terrorists running around thanks to our efforts.

I remember being so angry about the ineffectiveness of our equipment until a three star general explained we were actually playing 3D chess with the enemy.

Back
Top Bottom