• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

THE PLATE CARRIER / CHEST RIG THREAD

I’m looking into a light weight carrier set up. I don’t need 12 mags and patches hanging off the front. Just mainly looking for something light weight, easy on and off, comfortable to transport, and mobility while shouldering a rifle.

I keep going back to the LA Police Gear Low Vis plate carrier for $80 and some China ceramic lvl 3 or 4 shooters cut plates. All in under $400

Does anyone have any experience running a light weight set up like I am describing?

I've had a grey ghost minimalist carrier for years. Certainly hasn't seen daily use but it didn't sit on a shelf and gather dust either. Done a lot of training in it in all kinds of weather. I would add that to the list others suggested which were all also good suggestions. If I kept it slick I could wear it under a button up shirt and jacket in winter and it wouldn't be noticeable really. Unless you were really looking. It's not going unnoticed under a t shirt though. Not sure if there is armor that would.

I’m curious what y’all’s setups weigh. Side plates? 4 plates and mags can get upward of fitty pounds pretty quick.

I don't do side plates but I would never classify my set ups as light. When you add ammo, necessary gear, rifle etc there is no load out that's light. Maybe no plates just a minimalist chest rig and a light belt set up. But that's really just 4 rifle mags, an extra pistol mag, and maybe a little med gear in a cargo pocket. That's light. Never weighed mine.

Very happy with my new setup so far. 2022 is the year of gear for me. Typically I buy 50-60K of guns a year, with one big ticket item being a 30-40K machinegun sprinkled with 20-30K of SBRs and title-1 guns & accessories. This year I decided to do 25-30K in gear and 30ish in SBRs and title-1 guns with no new machinegun. Big ticket item this year are ~17K NV goggle setup. The rest is a fresh new plate carrier setup, ballistic helmet, outfits, Com setup, various bags (1 & 3+ day packs), boots, knives, holsters etc, with about another 30K sprinkling of SBRs, title-1 guns, optics & suppressors.

That all being said, I getting things nearly daily so my plate carrier set-up is not finished. The core plate carrier setup came in last week and it is super comfortable and light. After researching for what seemed like months, I could not be happier with my selection for the core/base carrier. My core set up consists of:

• Crye JPC 2.0 (1lb in weight)
  • 2X Level III+ RMA Multi-Curve Plates. (4.5lbs each. Model 1092 is the one you want. The high demand 1092 will go out of stock within 96hrs so buy quickly. See my thorough review from March 7th, they posted it so now I'm famous!)
Total weight of the core setup is exactly 10.0lbs (Thats the carrier and two 1092 plates). I have dozens of bags, pouches, mag holders etc, but I'm still debating on the accessories. I'll probably do a 4X AR mag holder up front with a small pouch, upfront for tech will be Kagwerks S20 operators kit. Out back will be the zip-up (for JPC-2.0) molle from Crye as standard, while wearing one of the 4 different sized Eberlestock packs that each have their own set-up and auxiliary molle mounted bags/pouches.

Stuff that came in so far this month vvvv

20220129_142757.jpg

20220319_212333.jpg
20220319_212351.jpg

rma.JPG

Very happy with my new setup so far. 2022 is the year of gear for me. Typically I buy 50-60K of guns a year, with one big ticket item being a 30-40K machinegun sprinkled with 20-30K of SBRs and title-1 guns & accessories. This year I decided to do 25-30K in gear and 30ish in SBRs and title-1 guns with no new machinegun. Big ticket item this year are ~17K NV goggle setup. The rest is a fresh new plate carrier setup, ballistic helmet, outfits, Com setup, various bags (1 & 3+ day packs), boots, knives, holsters etc, with about another 30K sprinkling of SBRs, title-1 guns, optics & suppressors.

That all being said, I getting things nearly daily so my plate carrier set-up is not finished. The core plate carrier setup came in last week and it is super comfortable and light. After researching for what seemed like months, I could not be happier with my selection for the core/base carrier. My core set up consists of:

• 2X Level III+ RMA Multi-Curve Plates. (4.5lbs each. Model 1092 is the one you want. The high demand 1092 will go out of stock within 96hrs so buy quickly. See my thorough review from March 7th, they posted it so now I'm famous!)
Total weight of the core setup is exactly 10.0lbs (Thats the carrier and two 1092 plates). I have dozens of bags, pouches, mag holders etc, but I'm still debating on the accessories. I'll probably do a 4X AR mag holder up front with a small pouch, upfront for tech will be Kagwerks S20 operators kit. Out back will be the zip-up (for JPC-2.0) molle from Crye as standard, while wearing one of the 4 different sized Eberlestock packs that each have their own set-up and auxiliary molle mounted bags/pouches.

View attachment 4105013
View attachment 4105015 View attachment 4105021

View attachment 4105045

Aight…million dollar question…what do you do for a living?

View attachment 4105013
View attachment 4105015 View attachment 4105021

View attachment 4105045

We need to hang out

I'm always down to hang out with like minded people. Job wise, that's quite a complex answer, but the jist of it is: Mechanical Engineer, Inventor (15 patents, filling 3-6 a year, now for 2022 onwards, filling 12+patents per year), Investor (Wallstreet and transferable machineguns), Business owner (LLC) which deals in three things: Contract mechanical engineering, Transferable Machinegun Broker and adviser, Suppressor baffle design.

I’m curious what y’all’s setups weigh. Side plates? 4 plates and mags can get upward of fitty pounds pretty quick.

There's always a trade off in protection vs mobility. I like a light weight JPC 2.0 setup, no side plates, 3 mags on the front, admin pouch, optional dangler. Under 23lbs is the goal.

One thing you CAN do is attach a Blue Force Gear 10 speed triple mag pouch to the front of your existing triple mag pouch. If they're empty, you won't lose any room to go prone as they add maybe half an inch to your front. If you plan on being somewhere stationary or are going into a situation where you know you're about to expend a lot of ammo in a short amount of time, then you can use these 3 first.

All of the cardio endurance can easily become mitigated due to excessive weight. You'll see guys trying to fill every single inch of webbing on their gear, however, like dating a stripper, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Blue Force Gear 10 Speed Pouch

bumping this thread. I'm trying to build up my gear from the competition spectrum to more along the lines of what garand thumb was talking about...

currently a slickster with one RMA 3a+ plate. I tried heavier stuff but messed up my back 2 years ago. Since then I've dropped 45 pounds, where my original goal was to lose enough weight to make up for the gear I wanted to carry. So needless to say I'm there and then some.

Currently shopping for a new belt, second plate, and maybe a chest rig. not sure if I want to have that separate than the PC or in addition to it. I've never served nor have I been shot at, so hard to know what to get for a need I've not officially had.

leaning towards another of the RMA plates and a Esstac belt. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom