• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The thing I'm most 'scared' of in the woods....

I got Rocky Mt. fever back in the 70's. High fever, sweats, pee'd battery acid etc. The hospital did blood test daily until I was clear; 9 days.
A good friend owns a horse farm in Troop county. He got Lyme disease from a tick bite while working with his livestock there.
Take precautions and be careful.

There are two things I started consuming every day a few years ago, and I haven't had a tick stuck to me since. I will find them crawling on my every once in a very rare while, but they do not attach. Mosquitoes also rarely bite me.

The first is a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, which I think is what does it, and the second is a salad dressing I make with garlic. I'm pretty sure it's the apple cider vinegar, but it could also be the garlic.

I spent a large part of last weekend brush cutting through some very thick areas on my property and not one tick. I used to get them all the time, but they have stopped. And I don't use bug spray either.

Snakes? Pfft. No. Bears? Nope. Big cats (and all the black panthers in the state)? Nope. Zombie coyote wolf hybrids? No.
The thing I hate the most in the woods is..... TICKS!
Went to the cabin last Sunday (23rd) and was doing some work on my fruit trees and didn't use any spray as it wasn't handy. Pulled a little tick cruising my fore arm driving home. After a really hot shower, just felt like stuff was crawling on me all night even though when I'd check a spot there was nothing.
Fast forward to last Thursday, washing (what's left of) my hair and felt something around one of my temples. Yep, tick. It was in the exact spot that would be behind the sidearms on my glasses. Sneaky bastage. He was attached. He was pretty healthy. Pulled him off and he went down the drain. No pain so didn't worry too much about it even though the "24 hour attached" rule was in my mind. Late the next day, the bite site was starting to look a little infected and was pretty sore. Of course it was too late to get into a doctor at that point and I will NEVER go to a 'doc in the box' again. Saturday felt pretty miserable, headache, VERY fatigued and felt like I was going to pass out every time I stood up from doing yard work. Of coure zero idea if it was related. Sunday was better but still a little run down. Felt normal today but after reading too much about tick borne diseases, I still went to see the doctor (which I almost NEVER do). Prescription for antibiotic and hopefully that's that. :pray2:
I guess I didn't realize Lyme's disease was as awful and long lasting as it is.
I just don't want the one where you can't eat meat. I'd have to shoot myself. Got to be better than starvation.

You're only scared of ticks the woods because you've never run into fat buck nekkid guy trespassing.

I hate Ticks, and Chiggers. I used to use the old Military green insect repellent it would work wonders, I was putting some of these in my families bug-out bag yesterday, and my wife said that that type of repellent is illegal now, because it contains deet? In was like oh well report me! Because we have these in our 1st and kits.

Yep. Been thinking of buying a crossbow so I can hit the woods early this season. Main thing that keeps me from doing it is ticks. I don’t even want to be out there till the temp drops.

Back
Top Bottom