• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Think twice before using your AR-15 for home defense. 🤔

So this was a study done back in the early 1990s (hence the criminal breaking in to steal a VCR). It was the height of the media push to ban 'assault weapons' and they were still rare and scary beasts.

Almost 30 years later I doubt you would get the same exaggerated result, although I bet it's still somewhat true even today. I know a lot of my more Fudd'y friends think so, and will handicap themselves with a less useful firearm for home defense just so it looks less threatening.

I can see his point. When I was in law enforcement our chief allowed us to carry a rifle in our car. Many of us carried M1 carbines. Mine was a standard wood stock, but one of my officers put his in a fancy synthetic stock with a red dot and sling, with 30 round mag. We got into a debate with some people about guns and plastic guns. So, we got the rifles out, both M1 carbines and asked which one was more dangerous, they all picked the black rifle. Ignorance is scary. We then explained to them, and educated them, that they were identical rifles. So, I learned 20 years ago, that the appearance of a rifle makes a big difference to the ignorant.

So this was a study done back in the early 1990s (hence the criminal breaking in to steal a VCR). It was the height of the media push to ban 'assault weapons' and they were still rare and scary beasts.

Almost 30 years later I doubt you would get the same exaggerated result, although I bet it's still somewhat true even today. I know a lot of my more Fudd'y friends think so, and will handicap themselves with a less useful firearm for home defense just so it looks less threatening.
That point on the VCR was just a reference to a case back then it wasn't him speaking of current data.

Back
Top Bottom