• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Think twice before using your AR-15 for home defense. 🤔

Sad but true.

The AR is probably the best home defense choice for a lot of people. It's light, easy to shoot and can adjust to whoever needs to use it. In 223 it has low recoil and less over-penetration than a lot of other rounds.

But if you have a jury of Fudds that think it's a 'weapon of war' you could have an uphill battle in court if you ever have to use it.

Here's a serious answer from a lawyer with tons of criminal law experience:

If you choose any evil black tacti-cool rifle or carbine for personal defense, I feel like there ARE GREATER ODDS that you will be arrested and charged, if the cops don't like civilians having the same cool guns they (the only ones professional enough) get to have, AND (this is also a requirement) there's something fishy about your self-defense story and it's not absulutely clear-cut.

HOWEVER, if your evil-looking man-killing machine in question is an ordinary, common, AR that has exactly the same features as most law enforcement officers have available in their squad cars,

AND it's the same kind of gun that most (if not all, or something like 99%) of professional CIVILIAN firearms instructors use to teach the RIFLE or CARBINE courses.... it's the gun THEY recommend and will loan you or rent you if you need to take the course with a borrowed gun...

Then your choice of weapon is very defensible and probably won't even go to a jury, because at a pre-trial hearing on a defense motion in limine, you'll win and the judge will order the prosecution not to bring up your type of gun as a negative or to argue that it shows something bad about your character, or shows premeditation.

However, a tricked-out murder machine made on the AK-47 platform wouldn't be subject to the same argument of "it's very common among the good guys, the professional instructors and coaches, and among cops, prison guards, and private security teams in the USA, therefore my client's choice to arm himself with such a gun ahead of time shows nothing about his bent of mind."

I’ve always thought an AR was obnoxiously LOUD in tight spaces..and they would penetrate Sheetrock walls like crazy(If you missed). Way down my list (for indoors use).

True on the noise, NOT TRUE on bullet penetration.

Especially if you use 50-55 grain bullets that will hit that wall at over 3,000 feet per second.
That kind of velocity tends to fragment bullets.
If it's a soft-point or otherwise an expanding bullet made for varmint hunting, the fragments will be smaller and therefore less dangerous to people in the next room.

A 130 grain handgun bullet moving at 900 fps will be more deadly to somebody who is 10 feet from the wall through with the bullet passes.

I went back and listened again and you're right, it's not from the 1990s. His comment on that just stuck in my head.

The study was done in 2009 according to the video. Still a ways back but not 30 years.
Unlike other lesser members 🤣 I don't grill you for making a little mistake. It's all good. The point of the video was just to share something I thought was an atrocity. Being convicted and thrown in jail for protecting yourself and your personal property. It's perfectly ok for the state to execute someone by gas or injection but for a law abiding citizen to exercise their right to live is enough to incarcerate them. It's utterly ridiculous!

Back
Top Bottom