• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on a company car under $30k?

Drive the Mazda if you haven't already.
My sentiments exactly. We drove every sport utility on the market the Toyota, the Kia sorento, I can't remember the other ones but there were so many it was just none of them felt like they were connected to the road are they felt like you were riding in a Coleman lantern. Then we test drove the Mazda CX-7 250 horsepower turbocharged touring edition. It was like driving a breath of fresh air it has the feel of a sports car but yet the softness of a Cadillac it was a whole different breed from the other vehicles. The car ended up lasting around 160,000 mi but that's because it ended up in my son's hand and they are really shifty about doing preventive maintenance. Which led to its premature demise. But that car didn't give us one iota of problems for the whole 160,000 miles. We didn't have to take it in for nothing but oil changes and I did half of those. But we did use mobile one synthetic oil it's whole life and kept the air filter nice and clean to keep the turbo getting fresh air.

Sister had a 20 Rav 4, hybrid. It was very buzzy, and sparse on the amenities. It got totaled last spring, she got a Subaru Forester she likes way better.

Rather than being innovative, Toyota and Honda seem to be simply milking their brand (loyalty) and focusing on manufacturing reliable automobiles.

That's pretty much the main thing I look for when buying anything, reliability.

Too much/fast innovation sucks when it becomes problems to diagnose faulty issues after production started. Then hoping a recall is issued to fix whatever the manufacturer screwed up on.

So….the IRS is changing the way companies are able to supply company cars to their remote employees. The way it has been for the last 11 yrs, we pick from 3 or 4 car models(Equinox for me), given a fuel card that takes care of maintenance and fuel, insurance and registration paid by fleet company. When the car hits around 70k miles, we would order a new car and swap them out. We would pay at the end of the year based on how much we used it personally, typically 10-15%. I can pretty easily put 30-40k a year on the car, have done 50k.

Now the program gives us a fixed amount, that is taxed as income, but will pay us mileage. We are now responsible for purchasing or leasing our own vehicle, all related fees, and insurance. There are some additional things like them paying for glass replacement or insurance deductible if in an accident.

I‘m currently looking purchasing a subcompact SUV’s. I honestly think I can pay it off within 2 yrs, bank the allowances the third year, so allow for a better vehicle during the 4th year……then repeat. Anyone currently in this situation? Or have any advice?

Due to the warranty, and the amount of miles I will be putting on it, ive narrowed it down to these few.

1. Kia Seltos S
2. Hyundai Kona
3. Toyota Cross
4. Mazda C30

Thoughts? I’ve driven the Kona, but the trunk is tiny. I hope to go look at the Seltos tomorrow, which claims 7 more cubes of space.
My daughter drives about 25k a year. She has to haul fairly light but bulky equipment and supplies with her to do her job. She is paid mileage. She bought a Toyota Prius several years ago. it is far roomier than I had ever thought of them being. The hatchback is perfect for the things she must haul around. she gets around 50+ mpg so she makes out like a bandit on her mileage check. Your needs may be different but the Prius has been a win for her.

My daughter drives about 25k a year. She has to haul fairly light but bulky equipment and supplies with her to do her job. She is paid mileage. She bought a Toyota Prius several years ago. it is far roomier than I had ever thought of them being. The hatchback is perfect for the things she must haul around. she gets around 50+ mpg so she makes out like a bandit on her mileage check. Your needs may be different but the Prius has been a win for her.
Bought a 2015 Prius last year for the kids to drive to school. 30 miles each way, the old 06 Land Rover was $135 a week in gas, the Prius is under $20.
I don't like driving it, noisy, bumpy, and the radio sounds like a transistor. It is the model 4, one from the nicest, but still spartan. BUT, I will take the gas savings.

I’m really leaning towards a new RAV4, how’s the ride in it? 35 mpg on the highway is legit?
We just test drove one so idk about gas mileage but my bigButt fit in the front seat and then the backseat fine. It was the winner for me but the wife wanted the Venza… so we got an older Venza with about 50k miles on it. I hear nothing but good things from the few Folks we know that have the RAV4?

We’re getting a RAV4 next time around , I didn’t fit the CRV . 4x4.
Well hell, I went to Marietta today and test drove a RAV4 XLE……. I‘m sold!

1672695862284.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom