• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on a company car under $30k?

Yeah, I’m trying my best to stay away from Turbo and AWD. That being said, I may try to find a Rav4 after looking at it yesterday and I think they are all awd. The Kia Seltos has been the nicest car I’ve looked at for the price.
It's not that turbo cars are bad it's just the vast majority of car owners don't do preventative maintenance on their cars religiously. If you change the oil in your car the right way and change the filter regularly they are ok. You also have to wait just a few seconds before you turn the ignition off to allow the turbo time to spool down to idle speed. If those three things are done right they are fine. Today's turbo units have very good oiling systems that prolong turbo life drastically. Its what people don't do that they roll the dice on. Knowing how to take care of one I wouldn't own a 4 banger without one.

Doesn't KIA have a heck of a warranty?

Not sure about Kia, but Hyundai has a shorter length of warranty on the turbo system. Best to ask since they don't advertise that info when buying.

Given the cost of replacement on those things I would never trust it on a economical daily driver.

Not sure about Kia, but Hyundai has a shorter length of warranty on the turbo system. Best to ask since they don't advertise that info when buying.

Given the cost of replacement on those things I would never trust it on a economical daily driver.
My wife's Mazda CX-7 lasted to I think it was 160,000 miles. I said 140 earlier but I really think it was around 160. That's was a nice car. I bought it pre owned. An older couple bought and traded it in on a the bigger CX-8. It had 28 K on it when we purchased it. We got it for 22,500 plus taxes and fees. It had everything and that's what she wanted. Heated leather seats, GPS, Sunroof and all the other goodies. We got our monies worth out of it. In fact she loved it so much she bought the CX-9 next. It also had the slapstick shifter in it like the old Mopars. That was a fun car to drive with 250 horsepower.

My wife's Mazda CX-7 lasted to I think it was 160,000 miles. I said 140 earlier but I really think it was around 160. That's was a nice car. I bought it pre owned. An older couple bought and traded it in on a the bigger CX-8. It had 28 K on it when we purchased it. We got it for 22,500 plus taxes and fees. It had everything and that's what she wanted. Heated leather seats, GPS, Sunroof and all the other goodies. We got our monies worth out of it. In fact she loved it so much she bought the CX-9 next. It also had the slapstick shifter in it like the old Mopars. That was a fun car to drive with 250 horsepower.

I'm sure there are good examples out there, but for me I just don't trust them enough. With all the crap to go wrong and fix on car's I tend to keep it limited on items that are unnecessary. If it was on a performance vehicle I'd make an exception, but if for just commuting then it's just another thing that could go wrong and keep me from going places.

My brother in law is a traveling salesman
He racks up the miles , like 50-60k a year , and a few years ago they switched from Honda to Hyundai , and they’ve had zero problems .
I dunno what kind he has though
It’s a little Cute Ute crossover thingy .

I would avoid turbos and avoid a CVT trans , both are just two how when they get out of warranty.

Big benefit to the RAV4 is the 8 speed transmission, the Cross has a CVT but with a mechanical 1st gear to fix the lag time common with all other CVT's.

I can't comment on the current RAV4 since I bought the '18 model, but seeing it on the road the added size makes it look like a nicer vehicle. Mine only has a 6 speed transmission but I am able to do 33 mpg when driving on the highway, 3 more than what the factory listed.

If you're like me and observe the speed limit without trying to stay ahead of everyone else on the road, the 35 mpg should be doable.

Back
Top Bottom