• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trespassers on Private Property

So be it,my property is fenced gated and posted,you open that gate and let yourself into my property at 3am yea thats a threat !
No one has said a word about a fence or a gate to this point.

Even still, I don't know how you can justify shooting someone who may only be lost or is themselves experiencing an emergency and needs help. It's beyond me.

Those signs are worthless as justification. What if the person can't read? What if they see them but they ignore them because they believe they belong there? If they are looking for a friends or families house, the signs are meaningless to them.

I not talking about the OP, I'm simply commenting on your post where you said you would shoot someone simply for driving past some signs.

The cops chance of responding in time to catch em is very slim.

Well yeah, when you wait three hours after the incident to make a report.

Pretty hard to point fingers at the cops when you didn't call the night shift deputy to respond to a crime in progress - you called the day shift deputy to talk about, "well see, what had happened was . . . " As a former night shift deputy, I never got that logic. Not like you were waking me or the 911 dispatcher up out of bed or something . . .

While certainly strange and an annoyance and a "wake up", it clearly was not a "threat" that equaled deadly force as some are suggesting.

The fact that i came running to their truck within 10 seconds, i doubt they will be back.if so they will be held at gunpoint. Ive made a police report, they would be a foraure threat coming twice.
Hopefully they get shot by someone else while attempting a break in. I used to live in the National Forest with a long driveway like that and it happened occasionally even out there. Junkies are everywhere nowadays. You should set up some of those pepper spray booby traps and a trail cam.

Hey guys and gals. after an early night, i got up at 1 am to catalogue all the slabs i have listed. at 3:20am a truck came up the driveway down my long private gravel driveway. Thankfully i was up, dressed, packing and in/out of the garage. As i saw the lights, and heard all the dogs doing crazy i looked out the window and saw this truck turned into a turnout about to back around then drive out i assume, so the headlights were not facing me. I ran down 100ish feet real quick to confront. They told me they were looking at realestate properties.. So i said its 3am ?!?! woman driving, guy in passenger seat with a headlamp on his head. After a minute of expressing my frustration of them trespassing i told them i was taking a picture of their tag before they leave. Amidst all of this they said " dont shoot " (they could not see my g43). So i tried to call non emergency line but it sent me to k9 so i figured they may be closed. i waited till 6:30 to call the police and i told them what happened and gave them the tag# and told the officer what happened, gave my information and he told me they would run the tag and deal with it according. The cop seemed very confused with why i would want their plate run and asked me why and told me they dont give out information. I said i do not need information, but would be happy if they run the tag like they always do on a pullover to make sure there not dealing with criminals. Will they , who knows. He said i should have called the police when it happened.

That brings me to my question for you law gurus. I expressed to the officer that to call the police while they are there would just cause them to speed off, etc so i asked can i hold them at gunpoint with a light ( so i can make sure they weren't reaching for anything in the vehicle) and he said yes. I said are you sure thats not false imprisonment ? He didnt answer me and distracted me with asking the vehicle color. Then asked am i sure i want to risk a potential gunfight ? I replied, Yes.

~ So, if i am on my private property and someone comes trespassing all the way my 2000ft gravel drive to my house and there are no trespassing signs. and if i feel like they are shady like this was, can i hold them at gunpoint and make them get out of the vehicle, hands on the car, then make the call to 911 as i hold pistol/light in one hand and phone in the other ?

Sorry if my grammar isn't very well and may sound jarbled. ive had a bad experience back in the day with a few young kids robbed my moms house, and on the 3rd time i showed up and saw 3 of them running from the house with my backpacks on. the getaway driver saw me pulling in ( another long driveway) and he dipped out leaving one of the kids that went for the car stranded in a tall grass field. so i pulled up, slammed truck in park and jumped out with a shotgun and held him with his hands high until cops came. they told me i was awesome, but he clearly had my backpack on and it was the 3rd robbery, whereas this morning was 2 crack/meth heads casing my house.

If you took the time to read this i appreciate that and any knowledge legally and/or tactically that would be the best thing to do in this scenario. Im thinking a tlr-hl with strobe on my g19, or p2000(just to make AD less likely), maybe i should stick with tried and true X300 ultra ( my x400 has never failed me ).

The tag is RZZ6707 Dodge Dakota older model extended cab for any of you LEO that might want to look into it yourself, or any one else in the woodstock over to sandy plains/92 area to keep your eyes out for these people.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Sounds like you need gate.

What signs are you talking about? Posted signs? If you don't know you are on the wrong property, you don't know that those signs apply to you.

That has crossed my mind. its a shared driveway with 2 mailboxes and my neighbor and I. There are no trespassing signs on every telephone pole all the way up. And it was 3:20 am !!! wtf !

Those signs....

Thieves don't open house at 3am when almost everyone is at home. Thieves open house at 3pm when most folks are at work and school.

The headlamp mentioned by the OP makes me think poaching was in mind.
The hrlead lamp is standard issue for thieves at night. Meth heads will work harder at night looking for stuff to steal than a real job.
As for holding them I don't think it would be worth the effort with all the unknowns. Yeah they were probably out to steal, but I don't think I'd use deadly force on a "probably"

I would think about a solar motion light near the front (to make them think someone is watching) and came camera a little further down the line. And maybe a a driveway alarm for those times you do not happen to be awake:

upload_2017-2-26_17-49-17.png

A long piece of timber across the road buried with large nails, that can be flipped over in the daytime might slow them down and they have to buy all new tires. Once they come past the no trespass signs, it's on them. A trail camera and driveway alarm with a tripwire for flood lights in addition.
I would love to see their faces after that.

Back
Top Bottom