• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trigger upgrades in a SD carry gun

Your credentials are impressive, but to be fair, if Mas or one of the others saying the opposite on the trigger were to slap down their resumes, they would be at least as impressive, to be fair...

Oh, I don’t doubt that at all. I can trot out a lot of Firearms Instructors with more impressive resumes than mine.

I wasn’t trying to over-awe anyone with my statement. Merely putting the info out to show that I’m not just making stuff up; I know what I’m talking about.

I don’t just Instruct, I go to as much training as my time and money will allow. I’ve taken a class from Ayoob, and a whole slew of other “big names”. My favorite classes to go to are ones run by Instructors that I do not agree with. Always good to hear other viewpoints.

SirBannedAlot SirBannedAlot did you/do you race in the metro area? Ever meet a guy named Cliff Brown?

I don't race, I just do track days and street. Been riding since 1996 on the road, dirt since the early 80's.

In that time, I have put about 250k miles on bikes on street and track, and last time I added it up, somewhere around $300k into bikes, tuning, track days, gear, etc...

Many of my friends race, I spend a lot of time with racers and it's literally the only sport I watch. One of my friends is a mechanic and racer and been a lead mechanic on AMA, WERA, MacauGP and even a couple times for an Isle of Mann race team... I have spent probably 50 hours in a dyno room watching, learning and even assisting with a variety of bikes, dozens...

But I don't know Cliff. I assume he is in WERA? I am sure my racer friends know him, if he is...

I think that to use the bike analogy, things fall into two buckets when it comes to mods... Some of them are personal tastes, or ergonomics... Changing the seat, different rubber grips, maybe stickier tires, etc... Things that don't counteract something that the manufacturer designed. It can be a gray area, I know. They added a given set of tires for handling, but also for mileage, as an example, so compromises are often made...

So I can add better tires, gain traction and sacrifice longevity, without changing the overall intent and function of the bike. However, what if I went the other way? I wanted super mileage because I am cheap, and the hard tire that lasts long but doesn't stick for crap and throws off the traction control system? If I crash, is it my fault? Their lawyer would argue that it is...

If I tear into the motor for more power, I can void my warranty, by fundamentally changing the design and power, past the design parameters... If I blow it up, it's on me the second they see that I cracked the motor and made modifications.

Even if I tune it. If I tune it too lean my mistake, bikes don't have knock sensors, and if I tear up the motor from detonation, it's on me, I get to buy a new motor despite my warranty...

A trigger on a gun, I see as one of those more critical items. My fears may be unfounded, I will give you that. But to me, I trust the manufacturer of the gun more than I trust myself. So if it's a gun I am trusting my life to, I leave it alone. If it's a target gun or hunting rifle where a malfunction or issue results in a missed target or deer, I can live with that...

As I get older, I mod the bikes less and less. Part of that is that they get better and better on their own.

Part of it is, how fast do I really need to go? Currently I have 157hp in 420lbs... traction control, wheelie control, ABS, ride modes, quick shifter, etc... Corners like a cat on carpet... I can't ride this to it's limit, not even close.

Modern sportbikes like the Panigale are now, what a full on race bike was 10 years ago, like pro level... The Panigale V4, the bigger version of mine, makes 225hp with the Ducati performance exhaust from the factory, has electronic suspension and amazing tech. What the hell am I gonna do with a monster like that? The HP to weight ratio, is nearly 1:2... For every HP, it has to move just under 2lbs. It's insane.

A Corvette would need 1500hp or so, to get into that ballpark.

So if I had that bike, how the hell could I, "make it better"? It already does a 1/4 mile in the high 9's at over 150mph, off the showroom floor... LOL

I don't race, I just do track days and street. Been riding since 1996 on the road, dirt since the early 80's.

In that time, I have put about 250k miles on bikes on street and track, and last time I added it up, somewhere around $300k into bikes, tuning, track days, gear, etc...

Many of my friends race, I spend a lot of time with racers and it's literally the only sport I watch. One of my friends is a mechanic and racer and been a lead mechanic on AMA, WERA, MacauGP and even a couple times for an Isle of Mann race team... I have spent probably 50 hours in a dyno room watching, learning and even assisting with a variety of bikes, dozens...

But I don't know Cliff. I assume he is in WERA? I am sure my racer friends know him, if he is...

I don’t know squat about it, but WERA sounds familiar. He doesn’t race anymore, but used to. My oldest friend and owner of Dixie Ammo Dump.

My thoughts on winning a gunfight is to always assume that the opposition is, at a minimum, as well-armed and skilled as I am. To go into a gunfight assuming the other guy is unskilled and poorly armed could get you killed. If he’s as well-armed and skilled as I am, then I want every possible edge I can get. Yes, I practice, more than once a week, although that’s mix of different weapon systems (handgun, carbine, shotgun, etc.).

In my professional opinion, unless I buy a handgun from a custom shop that has already had the work done, NO ONE makes a pistol that fits MY criteria right out of the box. So what should I do?

My duty SIG is stock (other than factory SRT and Hogue grips) and I shoot it very, very well. However, I shoot my Wilson Combat Beretta better than my SIG, and my custom 1911’s better than I do the Beretta. I’ve shot custom SIG’s from GrayGuns and the Legion series......I shoot them better than I do my stock SIG. By better, I mean that I can run the custom versions much faster with the same resulting accuracy. Fast accuracy wins gunfights.

How often do I practice? I’ve worked for this agency for 16 years. When our duty guns hit 40,000rds we are issued new ones. I’m getting close to being issued SIG #6. On top of that, for a few years I had an identical personally owned SIG P229 that I ran the snot out of. I shot USPSA for several years; I can begin to estimate how many rounds I fired during that period. Added to this is all the practice and training I do with my other handguns, as well as carbines, shotguns, precision rifles, and SMG.

Yeah I've watched as you intentionally tried to aim left, right, up and down and still cut the bull. On top of that, you were shooting DA. Made me sick. I didn't hate you for it, but being sent back to the woodshed in such a manner is a bit disgruntling. LOL

I’m not thinking like a cop. I’m thinking like a professional Instructor that trains thousands of civilians a year in firearms and tactics. For every LEO I teach, I teach about 12 civilians. Taught a class last weekend, it was 100% civilians. Got a class coming up in a few weeks; so far it’s all civilians and one military.

Even when you’re a cop, it’s not an automatic that agency lawyers will defend. If you did not follow the law, or agency policies and procedures, they can dump you and you go to court on your own.

I pay monthly dues to an organization that assists Feds like me with legal issues. Sound familiar? Kinda like USCCA or US Law Shield. So NO, I don’t automatically have free lawyers. The ones I’m going to first are the ones that I’ve been paying for years, no different from the rest of you.

Several of y’all have a huge misconception as to what happens to a LEO when they have to defend themselves in court.

I realize it must be on a case by case, individual basis, but without naming insurance companies, would you recommend carry insurance for citizens?

Yeah I've watched as you intentionally tried to aim left, right, up and down and still cut the bull. On top of that, you were shooting DA. Made me sick. I didn't hate you for it, but being sent back to the woodshed in such a manner is a bit disgruntling. LOL

I realize it must be on a case by case, individual basis, but without naming insurance companies, would you recommend carry insurance for citizens?

I’m a proponent of it.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom