• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trigger upgrades in a SD carry gun

I’m a proponent of it.

Thanks. It needs to be said that some guys are under the impression that instructors are proponents of it because they believe it will drum up more business for them through eventual BS legislation that requires training and carry insurance. A win-win for instructors and insurance companies alike. I know you well enough to know better, so I appreciate your opinion. I definitely trust you more than some random guy that I don't know.

As I get older, I mod the bikes less and less. Part of that is that they get better and better on their own.

Part of it is, how fast do I really need to go? Currently I have 157hp in 420lbs... traction control, wheelie control, ABS, ride modes, quick shifter, etc... Corners like a cat on carpet... I can't ride this to it's limit, not even close.

Modern sportbikes like the Panigale are now, what a full on race bike was 10 years ago, like pro level... The Panigale V4, the bigger version of mine, makes 225hp with the Ducati performance exhaust from the factory, has electronic suspension and amazing tech. What the hell am I gonna do with a monster like that? The HP to weight ratio, is nearly 1:2... For every HP, it has to move just under 2lbs. It's insane.

A Corvette would need 1500hp or so, to get into that ballpark.

So if I had that bike, how the hell could I, "make it better"? It already does a 1/4 mile in the high 9's at over 150mph, off the showroom floor... LOL
A bike that runs 8 seconds...162mph and pulls 3.5 Gs off the starting line

A bike that runs 8 seconds...162mph and pulls 3.5 Gs off the starting line

For a drag bike, sure. But a stock bike running high 9's at over 150mph in the quarter, that also rips around a race track at a 50 degree lean angle at over 100mph... that's something else. ;-)

The new Panigale V4 with no mods other than DOT racing slicks, went around Valencia or Mugello, I forget which, at only 4 seconds off the pace of the lap record holder(Lorenzo) on a $4M Ducati GP18 bike...

For a $25k street bike, that is impressive. Of course you can build a purpose built drag bike that does the 1/4 mile faster... Try running a fast lap around Road Atlanta or Barber on it. haha

Watching that yellow T/C light flashing the whole time... That system was working overtime to keep him out of the bleachers...

Now some would see that electronic intervention as "holding him back", but I would say that without it, he could not have set that lap time. He would have spent the whole time trying to keep the bike from killing him, rather than focusing on his lines and brake markers...

I considered that bike, but an extra 8 grand for performance I could never really use... i just couldn't justify it...

Thanks. It needs to be said that some guys are under the impression that instructors are proponents of it because they believe it will drum up more business for them through eventual BS legislation that requires training and carry insurance. A win-win for instructors and insurance companies alike. I know you well enough to know better, so I appreciate your opinion. I definitely trust you more than some random guy that I don't know.

I’m all for training, but I’m not in favor of arbitrary training guidelines or mandatory qualifications. Definitely not in favor of requiring CCW holders to have insurance. I think it’s a good thing to have, but it shouldn’t be required.

Kinda like my view on motorcycle helmets and seatbelts; I recommend them but it shouldn’t be required by law. Too much government interference is a bad thing.

I don’t have ties with any of the insurance companies that represent firearms folks.

I’m all for training, but I’m not in favor of arbitrary training guidelines or mandatory qualifications. Definitely not in favor of requiring CCW holders to have insurance. I think it’s a good thing to have, but it shouldn’t be required.

Kinda like my view on motorcycle helmets and seatbelts; I recommend them but it shouldn’t be required by law. Too much government interference is a bad thing.

I don’t have ties with any of the insurance companies that represent firearms folks.

I am torn on seatbelts and helmets. On one side I believe its your body, do what you want with it. That extends to drugs, abortion, suicide... So long as it isn't impacting my rights, do what you want.

But then the other side, you have to factor in insurance. You are required to have insurance as a motorist, be it bike or car. Premiums are based on pooled risk. So what you do in this case, can and does indirectly impact others via higher premiums...

There is an argument to be made on both sides, I think.

And we can see how technology is changing the landscape of insurance. You have to get a physical before starting certain plans, and they have to right to refuse you if you pose a greater risk. Some companies will only insure you if you wear a smartwatch that tracks your activity and fitness, heart rate, etc... They get the details from the app, and if you fall outside of that guideline, they can and will terminate your plan.

The insurance industry is starting to move in that direction. Who know, at some point, being fat, or riding motorcycles on a track too fast may be considered "too much risk" and they won't continue to insure you. Perhaps we will be forced to pay higher premiums due to owning firearms...

Back
Top Bottom