• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trigger upgrades in a SD carry gun

Try $50 a month for the most expensive plan...

10 bucks a month for me. And they cover ALL legal crap. No brainer for me! It's good to have an after bang policy. I think part of being prepared for violent encounters and threats today includes a plan for the aftermath, not just the incident.

Done plenty of upgrades to the 22 bikes I have had. None of them could be used against me in court...

You brought up truck seats and seatbelts, I thought I’d continue the trend.

If you had to race for your life, would you use a stock bike, or a bike that has been modified to handle better and go faster?

If you can’t trust your stock bike to save your life, maybe you bought the wrong bike.

If you can’t win using a stock bike, maybe you need to practice more.

Will you be taken to court in either a criminal or civil case, and have some jerk lawyer trying to make you out to be some sort of whacko for modding your gun to hit a paper target?

Stop thinking like a cop with your union and department lawyers fighting on your behalf, and think like the average citizen who has to sell their home to pay their legal fees.

You have your opinion, others have theirs.

I’m not thinking like a cop. I’m thinking like a professional Instructor that trains thousands of civilians a year in firearms and tactics. For every LEO I teach, I teach about 12 civilians. Taught a class last weekend, it was 100% civilians. Got a class coming up in a few weeks; so far it’s all civilians and one military.

Even when you’re a cop, it’s not an automatic that agency lawyers will defend. If you did not follow the law, or agency policies and procedures, they can dump you and you go to court on your own.

I pay monthly dues to an organization that assists Feds like me with legal issues. Sound familiar? Kinda like USCCA or US Law Shield. So NO, I don’t automatically have free lawyers. The ones I’m going to first are the ones that I’ve been paying for years, no different from the rest of you.

Several of y’all have a huge misconception as to what happens to a LEO when they have to defend themselves in court.

You brought up truck seats and seatbelts, I thought I’d continue the trend.

If you had to race for your life, would you use a stock bike, or a bike that has been modified to handle better and go faster?

If you can’t trust your stock bike to save your life, maybe you bought the wrong bike.

If you can’t win using a stock bike, maybe you need to practice more.

Well let's look at this...

Any stock sportbike is beyond my ability to ride at 100%. I am not Rossi. And more power, is often more of a liability unless you are the top level of racing skill. More power on a race track, or a mtn road, doesn't mean you are faster. I was faster hustling through the mtns on a Daytona 675, than I was on a Ducati 1198, despite being at a 40hp disadvantage, which on a 400lbs bike, is huge.

My current bike is a Panigale 959. Other than a +3 tooth rear sprocket, it's bone stock. Why? Because it is faster and handles better than I could hope to go. Ducati spent millions and millions on R&D and testing and pulling from their MotoGP efforts, where each of those machines cost $3.5M apiece... The chances of "me knowing better", is slim to none. If the bike doesn't work for me, or I feel it's performance is working against me, then I will sell it and go get a Suzuki or Aprilia, etc...

Now, I did add a "comfort seat" to replace the plank that they had... I would liken that to changing grip panels on my Kimber...

As for winning a race, skill will take you so far, but assuming the other racers have the same skill, the one with the better equipment should fare better.

So there are some sorta parallels in your analogy, but there are start differences as well.

I would submit that the average person who carries and is a gun enthusiast, has more practice and technique than the average thug who holds his gat sideways, no?

And here, it is a matter of buying good equipment. If I get on Road Atlanta with a Harley, I should expect to get my ass kicked by noobs on sportbikes. Trying to dump a ton of money into that Harley, to make it perform more like a sportbike, doesn't seem like the right plan to me. Best to just buy the right tool for the job, in the first place.

Thoughts?

Well let's look at this...

Any stock sportbike is beyond my ability to ride at 100%. I am not Rossi. And more power, is often more of a liability unless you are the top level of racing skill. More power on a race track, or a mtn road, doesn't mean you are faster. I was faster hustling through the mtns on a Daytona 675, than I was on a Ducati 1198, despite being at a 40hp disadvantage, which on a 400lbs bike, is huge.

My current bike is a Panigale 959. Other than a +3 tooth rear sprocket, it's bone stock. Why? Because it is faster and handles better than I could hope to go. Ducati spent millions and millions on R&D and testing and pulling from their MotoGP efforts, where each of those machines cost $3.5M apiece... The chances of "me knowing better", is slim to none. If the bike doesn't work for me, or I feel it's performance is working against me, then I will sell it and go get a Suzuki or Aprilia, etc...

Now, I did add a "comfort seat" to replace the plank that they had... I would liken that to changing grip panels on my Kimber...

As for winning a race, skill will take you so far, but assuming the other racers have the same skill, the one with the better equipment should fare better.

So there are some sorta parallels in your analogy, but there are start differences as well.

I would submit that the average person who carries and is a gun enthusiast, has more practice and technique than the average thug who holds his gat sideways, no?

And here, it is a matter of buying good equipment. If I get on Road Atlanta with a Harley, I should expect to get my ass kicked by noobs on sportbikes. Trying to dump a ton of money into that Harley, to make it perform more like a sportbike, doesn't seem like the right plan to me. Best to just buy the right tool for the job, in the first place.

Thoughts?

My thoughts on winning a gunfight is to always assume that the opposition is, at a minimum, as well-armed and skilled as I am. To go into a gunfight assuming the other guy is unskilled and poorly armed could get you killed. If he’s as well-armed and skilled as I am, then I want every possible edge I can get. Yes, I practice, more than once a week, although that’s mix of different weapon systems (handgun, carbine, shotgun, etc.).

In my professional opinion, unless I buy a handgun from a custom shop that has already had the work done, NO ONE makes a pistol that fits MY criteria right out of the box. So what should I do?

My duty SIG is stock (other than factory SRT and Hogue grips) and I shoot it very, very well. However, I shoot my Wilson Combat Beretta better than my SIG, and my custom 1911’s better than I do the Beretta. I’ve shot custom SIG’s from GrayGuns and the Legion series......I shoot them better than I do my stock SIG. By better, I mean that I can run the custom versions much faster with the same resulting accuracy. Fast accuracy wins gunfights.

How often do I practice? I’ve worked for this agency for 16 years. When our duty guns hit 40,000rds we are issued new ones. I’m getting close to being issued SIG #6. On top of that, for a few years I had an identical personally owned SIG P229 that I ran the snot out of. I shot USPSA for several years; I can begin to estimate how many rounds I fired during that period. Added to this is all the practice and training I do with my other handguns, as well as carbines, shotguns, precision rifles, and SMG.

To expand on this, in the discussion of modding a bike...

If I were to feel that the ABS is too intrusive and causing me to not scrub off enough speed and I was missing the apex and running wide in the turn... and I were to disable it. It's my bike, my choice. Whether I do it myself or have my tuner do it... If I were to crash and get hurt, on track or street... I can't go and sue the manufacturer for my broken back. What if someone runs in front of me in the rain, and the woman's lawyer(see, I assumed it was a woman pulling out without looking...LOL) looks at the details of the crash and wonders why I couldn't stop in time?

If it comes to light that I disabled the ABS and traction control that Ducati put in place, he may be able to make a credible case as to why I should have been able to avoid the crash, but my tampering with the safety systems of the bike, led to me being unable to slow down in the rain in time.

Now, I could have a racer come in and explain why not having ABS makes for faster lap times and more precise braking at speed, but I still feel like her lawyer would have a field day with me...

My thoughts on winning a gunfight is to always assume that the opposition is, at a minimum, as well-armed and skilled as I am. To go into a gunfight assuming the other guy is unskilled and poorly armed could get you killed. If he’s as well-armed and skilled as I am, then I want every possible edge I can get. Yes, I practice, more than once a week, although that’s mix of different weapon systems (handgun, carbine, shotgun, etc.).

In my professional opinion, unless I buy a handgun from a custom shop that has already had the work done, NO ONE makes a pistol that fits MY criteria right out of the box. So what should I do?

My duty SIG is stock (other than factory SRT and Hogue grips) and I shoot it very, very well. However, I shoot my Wilson Combat Beretta better than my SIG, and my custom 1911’s better than I do the Beretta. I’ve shot custom SIG’s from GrayGuns and the Legion series......I shoot them better than I do my stock SIG. By better, I mean that I can run the custom versions much faster with the same resulting accuracy. Fast accuracy wins gunfights.

How often do I practice? I’ve worked for this agency for 16 years. When our duty guns hit 40,000rds we are issued new ones. I’m getting close to being issued SIG #6. On top of that, for a few years I had an identical personally owned SIG P229 that I ran the snot out of. I shot USPSA for several years; I can begin to estimate how many rounds I fired during that period. Added to this is all the practice and training I do with my other handguns, as well as carbines, shotguns, precision rifles, and SMG.

Your credentials are impressive, but to be fair, if Mas or one of the others saying the opposite on the trigger were to slap down their resumes, they would be at least as impressive, to be fair...

Back
Top Bottom