• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trying to get my girl into backpacking, any tips?

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
Well, my chick acts really excited about backpacking and camping, and has car camped in the past, but it is hard to tell if she is seriously excited about it or just playing into my hobbies like a good girlfriend should.

Well, I decided to put her to the test and planned a short but pretty strenuous backpacking hike in the Cohutta Wilderness this weekend. What have I gotten myself into? It became clear in short order that she doesnt comprehend the difference between car camping and backpacking, so that should be an awesome adventure to say the least. Luckily she is still excited about it, and has been getting some gear together on her own and making her own packing list and what not which is a good sign. She doesnt understand the concept of "weight" quite yet, but Im sure she will after this weekend (and I will be sure to leave some extra space in my pack for whatever she wants to ditch along the way).

I also figured this would be a good weekend to teach her some basic survival skills. using a compass, making a fire, telling direction from the sun, how to read a map, etc.

So, any tips from yall before we get going?

Seriously, is it a day trip or staying the night? Your girl is pretty adventurous, I'm sure she will do good. Just make sure you tell her about weight. Tell her what happened to me on our hike back out.

Weekend trip, two nighter this time to the same place we went last time. Hopefully the good campsite is available, being close to the river would make it mroe fun for her I think.

And yeah, rain is going to be a big concern, if it looks too much like a bum weekend I will rethink going for sure. Would hate to have her stuck in the tent in the rain all miserable while Im out fishing :D

If it rains,she'll blame it on you.If she gets bug bites yep,your fault.When her arse gets crusty,correct your fault.Have a nice weekend.

She will NOT poop in the woods. I will guarantee that. I think I might put some ExLax in her coffee just to see what she does, my guess is she would hike back to the car and poop inside it instead.

Back
Top Bottom