• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkey challenge

Got my new vest in the mail today, alps super elite 4.0 bottomland. Cant wait to put it to use. Amazon had it for $85 the other day. Also ordered 200 feet of paracord. Should be able to make about 10-15 turkey totes in next week or so. Gonna make 2 different kinds, 1 a carry handle style and the other a sling style.
Shoot yeah man. I think I’m gonna go with Realtree timber this year.

Lol It’s still fun though
It is. I just have no instinct for it. I can look at a map or section of woods and pretty quickly have a good idea about deer movement and ambush points. When I turkey hunt and enter the woods all I got is, "I think there might be a turkey here somewhere."

It is. I just have no instinct for it. I can look at a map or section of woods and pretty quickly have a good idea about deer movement and ambush points. When I turkey hunt and enter the woods all I got is, "I think there might be a turkey here somewhere."
Yeah it’s different than deer hunting for sure. Turkeys will play all kinds of mind tricks on you. I was talking to a guy one time that has never hunted turkeys before, but he said I think they would be easy to hunt I see them all the time during deer season. I told him go hunt them in the spring and get back to me. The next deer season I talked to him and asked him about turkey season. He didn’t want to talk about it. He said they just vanished on me. Lol

Yeah it’s different than deer hunting for sure. Turkeys will play all kinds of mind tricks on you. I was talking to a guy one time that has never hunted turkeys before, but he said I think they would be easy to hunt I see them all the time during deer season. I told him go hunt them in the spring and get back to me. The next deer season I talked to him and asked him about turkey season. He didn’t want to talk about it. He said they just vanished on me. Lol
Same thing. I'll see them regularly during deer season, but they are mostly gone when I'm looking for them.

Same thing. I'll see them regularly during deer season, but they are mostly gone when I'm looking for them.
They are strange birds for sure. But once you get one you will be hooked though. Hell I was hooked when I called in my first hen, even though I knew I couldn’t even shoot her. Lol

turkey hunting I've had good luck seeing them at the top of a ridge near creeks. My spot in Hancock is on the edge of a field where it starts to slope down to a creek, if you're sitting in the blind I have out the whole 180 degree view has an elevation drop.
I'm the exact opposite with deer hunting other than knowing thicker is better. I blood trailed a doe one time on my hands and knees for 100 yards through a briar patch. I was done with rage broadheads after that hunt. She ran way to far after getting shot in the lungs.

Back
Top Bottom