• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unknowingly traded a stolen firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said a cop ran the numbers and to expect a call from Augusta Police.

#1 the Police won't call you, they might knock on your door..I had a friend ask me to check on a Pistol his son in-law had pick up at a gun show. I asked him why and he told me that his son in law had purchased it in the parking lot outside the show..When he told me the price, I told him it maybe stolen..I suggested running it thought GCIC, and told him if their was a hit I would have to keep it..As it turns out it was stolen..8 months later I had the GBI and SO knock on my door, and question me as to where I had come upon the weapon? I told them and they left. I called my friend and told him to expect a visit..He told them the truth and that was the end of the story..Burden of proof is with, law enforcement..

Why did the cop run the numbers?

I used to carry my permit behind my license. Got asked twice when cops saw it. They ran the numbers on the second time, so I moved the card.
(I lived in Washington State where it was required you declared if you got pulled over and had a gun in the car.)
I had a cased rifle in the back of the truck one time and the cop was more interested in the rifle than anything else. He didn't even run the numbers, he just wanted to look at the rifle.

#1 the Police won't call you, they might knock on your door..I had a friend ask me to check on a Pistol his son in-law had pick up at a gun show. I asked him why and he told me that his son in law had purchased it in the parking lot outside the show..When he told me the price, I told him it maybe stolen..I suggested running it thought GCIC, and told him if their was a hit I would have to keep it..As it turns out it was stolen..8 months later I had the GBI and SO knock on my door, and question me as to where I had come upon the weapon? I told them and they left. I called my friend and told him to expect a visit..He told them the truth and that was the end of the story..Burden of proof is with, law enforcement..

But...but, but...but....freedom because Bill of Sale.

Do you still have the computer that had the email in it? You would be surprised at what a good hacker can pull off a cache or hard drive....like they say : the "e" in email stands for eternal. Even though you deleted it it is there somewhere. (Just saying this as a last resort to finding your proof if they push it)

Trade for 220, claim it was stolen, get original 1911 back in process. Or do I think the worst of people?

Possible. I'd have to base it off his feedback. I'm wondering what I would do if I were OP. Offer 1911 guy his pistol back or offer him my condolences for his loss. Hmmmm....

Possible. I'd have to base it off his feedback. I'm wondering what I would do if I were OP. Offer 1911 guy his pistol back or offer him my condolences for his loss. Hmmmm....

Were it me, I'd offer the 1911 back on the condition that I was given incontrovertible proof that the P220 was indeed stolen and in LE possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom