VA resident buying long gun in GA?

I've googled it to death and still not 100% on this topic. I'm originally from VA, wife is in the Army (I got out in 09) so here we are at Ft. Stewart.All of my ID's reflect the fact I am from VA.So my question is can I buy a bolt action 22 from an FFL? If so what paperwork/ID's do I need? Can I do FTF with a GA resident?Thanks in advance. Sorry if this has been asked before.
Yes

It is correct.

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_oh.htm

"
Any adult resident of Ohio, not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a rifle, shotgun or ammunition in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania or West Virginia.
Any adult resident of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania or West Virginia, not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a rifle, shotgun or ammunition in Ohio. Any such purchase must be for such purposes and under such circumstances as required by federal law.
"

That is the reciprocity (if you will) between Ohio and these neighboring states. Good to go FTF with a long gun. If OH resident and those states.

As for OP, you have to find VA and GA laws.
http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_va.htm

I understand the state gun laws you are posting, my point is it is not legal under Federal law to do private sales interstate. Licensee is an FFL under the l;aw.

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Individual stores may have there own policies. I wanted a rifle from Academy in Louisiana, but was told they only sell long guns to residents of neighboring states.

How long ago was that?

That used to be the law.

Now they can sell "across the counter" to a resident of any state.

The biggest problem you may run into is that the seller (FFL) is responsible for complying for complying with the laws of his state, and the laws of the purchaser's state. If you are from Ill. or CA., the seller may CHOOSE to not sell you the gun because of the hassle. In other, you may legally be entitled to buy the gun, but the FFL is not REQUIRED to sell it to you.

Back
Top Bottom