• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What brands of AR to avoid?

High End - Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense, Headdown Products, Colt, Larue, LMT, AAC, Seekins, Sun Devil, Armalite, LWRC, Adam Arms, Charles Daly, White Oak Armament, CMT

Middle
- Spike's Tactical, Rock River Arms, Stag Arms, Adcor Defense, 2 Vet Arms, Anderson Manufacturin, Palmetto State Armory, Doublestar, Windham Arms/Weaponry, C3 Defense, S&W (questionable), Core 15, Alexander Arms, Ruger, Aero Precision, Mega Arms, Lancer Systems, CMMG, Sabre Defense,

Low End
- DPMS, Del-Ton, DSA, Elite Arms, SOTA, Olympic Arms, Century Arms, RGuns, Plum Crazy, ATI Omni, New Frontier Armory, Bushmaster from the last few years, RedX Arms, BlackThorne, Black Rain Ordance

Tiering is generally determined by finish and fit, base materials used, markings from milling and forging as well as the processes themselves, and quality control and testing for quality (MPI, HPT, shot peening, etc).

DISCLAIMER - It should be noted that some manufacturers do not list and or publicly report testing measures and quality control measures and may differ between product lines of individual manufacturers. As such the tiering system should be taken with a grain a salt because some rifles from one manufacturer of a lower tier may indeed be of better quality than a lower end rifle from a manufacturer of a tier above it. However, the general purpose of the tiering system is to show the consistency of quality across a manufacturer's entire line.

Furthermore, most manufacturers get their FORGED uppers, lowers, and lower parts from 5 basic forgers. However, the manufacturer, not the forger, sets the acceptable testing and QC testing of their products, which will cause noticeable differences between similiar parts from the same forger but different manufacturers.

*Updated to include a few others and explanation of tiering - 1/30/13 @ 3:52pm
*Updated to include more manufacturers and disclaimer - 1/30/13 @ 5:31pm

Jeez just made me realize. Remember the handful of AR manufactures before the ban lift in 2004? Everyone and their momma's ar making them now. IMO, stick with the guys that have been in business for a good bit of time. I will always go for a Colt or a Armalite before anything else

Get yourself an AK and forget about the AR....too finiky on Ammo, a Pain to Maintain in the Field, and expensive ammo and mags (If you can find them).

I disagree....with this^. Just buy them both! And then save your money and buy two more of each, and then two more of each, and then two more of each.....I used to have many ak's and ar's...Loved 'em all!

Jeez just made me realize. Remember the handful of AR manufactures before the ban lift in 2004? Everyone and their momma's ar making them now. IMO, stick with the guys that have been in business for a good bit of time. I will always go for a Colt or a Armalite before anything else

Yep, until the early 2000s, my old man worked in the steel industry (melting, forging, and QC) and worked with multiple forgers of sveral firearm companies so I know quite a bit on this side and an uncle of mine still does.

whoa, great post.

Why do you say S&W is a questionable middle tier? I just ask because seems like they're usually rated high or a solid middle.

thanks!

S&W doesn't have a consistent QC record and have a record of shorting tests though they are among the first to distribute melonite barrels in their ARs.

Where would you place LAR Grizzly

Middle. Updated

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom