• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What brands of AR to avoid?

Ive heard several good things and no negatives about them, but know nothing about the company, QC, or testing.

I heard none of Arrows' stuff is mil-spec. Anyone else heard/read that?

My DPMS will shoot with,or out shoot your Spikes!!!

Whoa. Dont take it so personally (if thats what you did). I wouldnt own a DPMS because of multiple negative things I have read, but mainly because of seeing one completely fail (another person in this same thread mentioned his DPMS bolt broke after 100 or so rounds).
Thats said, I trust that my Spikes will get the job done. If you trust your DPMS, great. No offense to anyone (or their rifle).

Last edited:
low end: DPMS, double star, olympic
super low end: Vulcan, Hesse, CAI
middle, best bang for buck: Spikes, Delton, SW, RRA, BM, ARmalite
upper: colt, BCM, DD, LWRC, POF, ruger

I personally love my DPMS. Shoots great, eats any ammo i have put in it. Bought it as my first AR, thinking I Maugham upgrade to a bigger name rifle if I decided I liked the AR platform. I liked the DPMS so much, especially for the price at the time that I bought another one. I guess if u r going to put 5000 rds a year through one , go for the higher end ones but just for plinking and shooting why buy a $1500 ( pre panic prices)? I have shot colts and bushmasters also. Can't find any differences other than the name. Get what u can afford in my opinion.

I think there is something missing in this discussion. That something is "what" makes a particular AR low/mid/high. I own a DPMS and have never had any kind of failure with it. That said, if I was expecting to use an AR to defend my life or the lives of others I would absolutely not be using that rifle. Why? Simple, the quality is simply not there. The BCG is improperly staked, the tolerances aren't great, the feedramps aren't proper M4 feedramps, etc. Have any of these things caused me problems shooting it in the past? Nope. However, they mean that there is a higher probability it won't work properly in the future compared to ARs produced with better quality control that doesn't let such improper manufacturing be delivered to the customers. If I expected lives to depend on my AR working, I wouldn't want an AR with those manufacturing/QC problems. However, for plinking/range use etc there's nothing wrong with the gun. The most likely "worst case" scenario is I'm inconvenienced by those problems at some time in the future because it fails.

updated again.

I deliberately choose to leave out "features" such as M4 or rifle feedramps, upper and lower space fitment, and commercial vs mil-spec stock setup because for most manufacturers, they have options to add these or leave them out.

As far as problems with rifles, I've PERSONALLY had or seen/been present for 2 DPMS, 1 RGUNS, 1 Aero and 1 RRA upper blow apart using factory loads. I've seen mulitple S&W M&Ps have FTE issues cause the bolt face wasnt machined personally. Last summer, I got a barrel in from White Oak for a customer and the gas port was properlly machined. In December my brand new LMT upper start showing carrier tilt after only 200ish rounds down the barrel, immediately called LMT and sent it back for replacement. Hell, a few months ago when I was at Gun Site Hills, a guy with a factory built Seekins 7.62 blew his carrier out the side of the upper. I don't know what caused it, but I saw the rifle and I'm guessing he was handloading and the load was too hot, but still.

As far as lowers go, I've only had issues with a few DPMS lowers have the front takedown pin hole not being big enough and an Adcor Lower that had .170 trigger pin holes. For the most part, a lower is a lower is a lower, excluding polymers.

My point is that given enough time spent with multiple rifles and multiple companies, you're going to see enough failures. The rates and percentages of occurence at which failures and issues arise affect its "tier placement" along with things we've already mentioned.

That said, I agree that for someone who just wants to go the range and plink once a year, there is no reason to purchase a top level rifle or even most of the middle group of rifle makaers. An indiviual like that is been served picking out a budget a rifle from the low end as her or she would never know the difference or miss it.

Back
Top Bottom