• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What brands of AR to avoid?

Get an AK, bro! Cheaper and more reliable. I personally have two Marine friends who were AR guys when they left for Afghanistan. They came back sold on AKs.

-$0.02

Most of the AKs in The States are crap and are a world apart from the AKs one would find in other places.

True, the AKs they saw and used in Afghanistan were Cadillacs compared to most of the stuff here, but even something like a WASR are rugged and reliable. One of my aforementioned friends bought a 10/63 two weeks after he came home and loves it to this day.

FWIW: A manufacturers rep for a well known handgun company ten years ago showed me the rifle he used for some kind of long range slow fire target competition. As I remember, 24" barreled DPMS. Guts were all custom built.

So I've decided I want an AR and I'm ready to pay the inflated prices of the current market. I don't want the buy the super high end make of the AR. I just don't want a piece either. Any suggestions would be great. Aiming for a $1300-1700 budget. TIA

If thats something you want, You buy the parts, (Run about 8-900) for a gun, You buy the parts and i'll assemble it for you. PAYMENT- a case of Sam Adams....

If thats something you want, You buy the parts, (Run about 8-900) for a gun, You buy the parts and i'll assemble it for you. PAYMENT- a case of Sam Adams....

I agree build your own I built my first one using a you tube video. Don't worry about who makes the lower, as long as it's Mil-Spec go for it! When I was in the military I never remember seeing "Colt" on any of the weapons that we used. AR's are like NASCARs; they are all the same on the outside, it's what you put in them that make them good!

DPMS rifles are the best quality and value for the money. You're going to pay 3 to 5 hundred extra just for the four letters C.O.L.T.

I've been hesitant to respond to this thread because someone will invariably get their feelings hurt due to their own personal choice of AR. However, let's examine the statement quoted above. What exactly do you get for that extra $300?

The Colt offers the following over a DPMS:

Correct mil spec barrel steel
Correct gas port size
Correct 5.56 Nato chamber
Mil spec bolt carrier group - proper materials, assembly and testing
Mil spec 7075 receiver extension
Better quality lower parts kit
Proper assembly throughout
In some cases, the DPMS does not include an ejection port door

Those are just a few differences I can come up with off the top of my head. Price is not always an indication of quality, but there is usually a reason for something being very inexpensive compared to known good products. DPMS and many other manufacturers are building a gun to hit a price point. In order to do so, corners must be cut in materials cost, assembly methods, QC and testing.

Disclosure: I do not own a Colt or DPMS, as neither fit my personal wants / needs.

The answer to the OP's question lies in another question. "What makes a quality AR?", not who. Unfortunately, answering that question requires a lot more personal research. But in the end, the OP will be much better equipped to determine which products will sufficiently meet his needs and meet his budget requirements.

Last edited:
DPMS rifles are the best quality and value for the money. You're going to pay 3 to 5 hundred extra just for the four letters C.O.L.T.

LOL, worst advice ever. No offense dude, but you obvious have an extremely limited scope of knowledge pertaining to AR's. It sounds like you may have purchased a DPMS and convinced yourself that anything higher quality and you are "just paying for the name"....hardly.

In addition to the above post add, correctly staked castle nut and gas key.
MPI tested bbl and bcg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom