• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What caliber do you carry and why?

^^^^CCW you trying to stir the pot?^^^^^

I have been using Hydra-shocks as my personal protection ammo in 9mm, 40, and 45. Would like to know what people think is the MOST advanced Per Pro ammo out there and why....not a hi jack, I think this still belongs in this thread but can start a new one if need be.

Probably the Winchester Ranger T-series, and Speer Gold Dots.

^^^^CCW you trying to stir the pot?^^^^^

I have been using Hydra-shocks as my personal protection ammo in 9mm, 40, and 45. Would like to know what people think is the MOST advanced Per Pro ammo out there and why....not a hi jack, I think this still belongs in this thread but can start a new one if need be.

Thats a toughy, do you mean technologically advanced or of an advanced design vs, say, a lead wadcutter? There are a lot of rounds out there with new-fangled technology but not a lot of science, testing, or data to back them up. Glaser safety slugs are a good example. Personally, I choose data over innovation, especially if my life could (potentially) depend on it. I think Hydra-Shoks are somewhere in between, an innovative idea that has testing and data to back them up, and they are what I carry.

Other good examples are the bonded offerings ProtMeas mentioned earlier, when expanded they look like death incarnate. The idea of a bonded bullet makes a lot of sense to me. Up there also are Federal Tactical Bonded and HST, both of which are pretty sweet and perform well.

I used the rifle bullet example to show how a bullet does the job different than an arrow. A pistol bullet just does not do it as well. The question becomes this. Do you think that an arrow with a 1.25 inch cutting area and four blades would stop someone as fast as any expanding bullet from 9mm on up? The arrow will have a much larger diameter direct contact wound than even a fully expanded 9mm or 45. If I understand your logic, this would make the arrow more effective.

It doesn't matter what I think.
There are too many variables to draw that conclusion... there are virtually no absolutes when it comes to how a pistol bullet will perform. Bullet designs have improved greatly but... is it hot or is it cold, thick clothing layer or none, muscular or fat or skinny, angry or scared, high or sober, center of mass or not, damage to vital organs or not. It goes on & on.

Back
Top Bottom