What caliber do you carry and why?

you mean pissing match?

While there has been disagreement, there's been good information and multiple points of view shared and discussed. What are you looking for? I carry this round and that's it? Nobody learns from that kind of information. Gaining an understanding of why goes a lot farther than x number of people carry a certain round because I read it on the internet.

As I said, some HIGH POWER pistol calibers can perform similar to rifles.

But I wasn't talking about them, remember?
You said yourself these were not the rounds I was talking about, so why bring them up & say I was wrong?
( That sounds more mean spirited than I meant it, by the way.)
We are talking about standard self-defense loads, not hot .357 & .44 magnum loads. Totally different animals & comparing apples & oranges.

Actually, hot .44 magnum's in many documented accounts turned out not to perform very well in shootings of humans because... SURPRISE... that's not what they were designed for. While I doubt they did anything to improve the person who was shot's disposition, the bullets went straight through without opening up creating a very narrow wound channel.

This caused Cor-Bon to design & produce a lower velocity .44 mag. designed to expand & not exit a human torso.

My apologies, sir. I happened to miss that particular statement. So I do apologize for reprising something you had already touched on.

And as far as .44 Mag rounds...I have read the same data you are citing - full-house .44's make a LOUSY defense round for the very reasons you stated. A person would most likely kill some in the next room as easily as the person standing right in front of them posing a threat. I'm sure a hot .357 will do the same thing when stuffed with the wrong bullet. But with a bullet designed to expand rapidly...it can (and will) do an impressive amount of internal damage without blowing through the target.

Again...sorry...resume the 9/40/45 debate. I forgot...only calibers that readily exist in semi-auto form need apply to any self-defense scenario since revolvers are woefully inadequate in these situations (Monte...this last statement if not aimed at you or any other particular person...just seems to be the general consensus of everyone involved in this entire thread).

My apologies, sir. I happened to miss that particular statement. So I do apologize for reprising something you had already touched on.

And as far as .44 Mag rounds...I have read the same data you are citing - full-house .44's make a LOUSY defense round for the very reasons you stated. A person would most likely kill some in the next room as easily as the person standing right in front of them posing a threat. I'm sure a hot .357 will do the same thing when stuffed with the wrong bullet. But with a bullet designed to expand rapidly...it can (and will) do an impressive amount of internal damage without blowing through the target.

Again...sorry...resume the 9/40/45 debate. I forgot...only calibers that readily exist in semi-auto form need apply to any self-defense scenario since revolvers are woefully inadequate in these situations (Monte...this last statement if not aimed at you or any other particular person...just seems to be the general consensus of everyone involved in this entire thread).

There seems to be a lot of data out there on all of the calibers everyone else is talking about. I was wondering if some one could provide some good information on the 10mm. It is hard to come by as many people seem to have forgotten the round except the niche of shooters that still use for a variety of things.

While there has been disagreement, there's been good information and multiple points of view shared and discussed. What are you looking for? I carry this round and that's it? Nobody learns from that kind of information. Gaining an understanding of why goes a lot farther than x number of people carry a certain round because I read it on the internet.

^^^This^^^. I've enjoyed it and am going to take a close look at the reference material offered.

whole thread turned into a physics lesson. way off from what was asked of the op.

Maybe deeper than what the OP had intended but it has been a good conversation and I have learned alot and have been provided with some great resources....well worth while, and I have read EVERY single post....lots of smart people here with a wealth of knowledge...I appreciate people sharing and a polite discourse...the disagreements have been considerate for the most part....not what I would call a pissing match....

Back
Top Bottom