• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What constitutes a "low ball offer"

Well I low ball everyone with the mind set it never hurts to ask.

But what really surprise's me is the lack of people willing to negotiate. Negotiating is part of the fun to me I like the volley back and forth. Most of the guys on here just get pissed off.
In some cases, the chase is the most enjoyable part. Too few folks even propose a counter offer. Some get offended when you offer 10-15% below their listed price. Whether you figure the price you've listed is your best price, I'm still going to see if you'll deal...it's a starting point for the fun...

If I get a low offer, I will usually counter with an offer of just a small bit off my asking. (I always leave a little room) . If countered with an increase in the counter offer I might shave a bit more or not depending on the item. BUT if the offer refuses to move off of his initial low offer, I just move on - no response at all = delete. Part of the fun of trading is haggling for me.

I think it's unreasonable to tell people "no low ball offers" when you've listed "best offer" since it's so vague and subjective. People want to haggle! It's even more unreasonable to offer someone half of their asking price and not expect to get cussed for it when the price is marked firm and you know the value is good.

I sold a motorcycle for my asking price, which was researched, and very fair and reasonable. I listed it as "price firm". The second person that looked at it didn't even try to haggle as he knew exactly what he was getting and bought it on the spot . The first guy however studied it like it was a final exam question and tried to nitpick flaws that weren't there. He offered me half my asking price...I asked him if I looked like a homeless guy selling stolen goods then I told him I would drive it into the effing river before I sold it to him.

"Firm" means firm and "best offer" means best offer. I expect people to understand those terms, and act accordingly.

Can I call you and discuss the item? Not always, but I usually feel a low ball offer is coming with this kind of contact through a PM. I usually just go to gunbroker and look for the last 3 completed auction of that item that actually sold. That is usually how a determine an offer.

Well I low ball everyone with the mind set it never hurts to ask.

But what really surprise's me is the lack of people willing to negotiate. Negotiating is part of the fun to me I like the volley back and forth. Most of the guys on here just get pissed off.

Yeah they do, lol
I like to negotiate, but when you try to deal with someone who is mainly on here to make a profit, it probably ain't gonna happen. lol
In all of my years on here, I can honestly say that the only profit that I have made is mutual respect, friendship and a lot of firearm knowledge. That is worth a lot more than a dollar to me.

Back
Top Bottom