• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did the military teach you (in reference to firearms) ???

Dynamis

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Conquering Oneself is Strength
455   1
Reaction score
I've always wondered about the US.Mil's depth of coverage when it comes to arms. I know they focus more on the long gun versus the handgun but just curious as to the degree of training they provide. What did the military teach you about firearms proficiency and safety?

Also, do special forces go above and beyond with firearms training?

Last edited:
depends on your job/mos. High speed guys train constantly, desk jockeys maybe train rifle once a year and maybe never pistol. Believe it or not most people in the military know very little about guns. The basic training most people get is very basic and just gets you on paper.

depends on your job/mos. High speed guys train constantly, desk jockeys maybe train rifle once a year and maybe never pistol. Believe it or not most people in the military know very little about guns. The basic training most people get is very basic and just gets you on paper.

BRM is a joke. Zero a riffle to 1 inch at 25M.

Higher density MOS have higher standards when it comes to weapons training.

Weapons qual is the same across the board per service. The training and proficiency is different, well as far as I've seen anyways. I don't think its a joke, Ive seen many people that cant shoot 1" at 25M with irons, and also seen many people who cant shoot man sized targets at 500y with irons. Its just a baseline anyways

BRM in the Army is not a joke. It is Basic Rifle Marksmanship.

Give me someone who has never even seen a rifle in their life and I can get them to qualify (on a pop-up 300m range) in a few hours using the lessons of BRM. Shadowbox, dime-washer, breathing coaching, etc go a LONG way for someone that has 0% experience behind a trigger. it might seem trivial to you, but not every soldier is a gun enthusiast first. Some have to be made into gun enthusiasts :)

As far as safety goes, we were taught and in turn taught the basics. Trigger discipline, muzzle ALWAYS in a safe direction, identify your target and whats behind it, weapon on safe until ready to fire, always make sure your weapon is clear before leaving the firing line.

I was a POG for the record, but I taught BRM for 4 years or so and learned to shoot in the army.

Weapons qual is the same across the board per service. The training and proficiency is different, well as far as I've seen anyways. I don't think its a joke, Ive seen many people that cant shoot 1" at 25M with irons, and also seen many people who cant shoot man sized targets at 500y with irons. Its just a baseline anyways

1" at 25M is not zero it is 4 MOA. It sets the average soldier up for failure at 300M.

Weapons qualification is not exactly the same. In certain jobs, a passing grade is not sufficient in PT or weapons qualification. For example, in SOF qualification "Sharpshooter" is the lowest acceptable grade and "Expert" is preferred. A minimal passing APFT will land you with a company grade Article 15.

Last edited:
It's VERY different depending on your job code. In the air force it ranges from the majority of the guys who after basic training are doing qualifications just twice a year, once with handgun once with rifle to the guys like the PJs that do live fire drills several times a week. That isn't to say that there aren't ALOT of opportunities for training if you take the initiative.

The reality is that unless you do take the initiative MOST of the armed forces personel, unless they're in an active combat situation, don't have that much exposure to firearms.

So are you saying that the test is the same but you are required to achieve better than minimun? Because thats what I was saying. And for some people they qualify at 25M and some of the targets at 25m qual are around an inch

1" at 25M is not zero it is 4 MOA. It sets the average soldier up for failure at 300M.

Weapons qualification is not exactly the same. In certain jobs, a passing grade is not sufficient in PT or weapons qualification. For example, in SOF qualification "Sharpshooter" is the lowest acceptable grade and "Expert" is preferred. A minimal passing APFT will land you with a company grade Article 15.

Back
Top Bottom