• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did the military teach you (in reference to firearms) ???

Here is a typical airforce target for 25M, Not mine I shoot similiar though

upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_en_c_cf_M16target.jpg

BRM in the Army is not a joke. It is Basic Rifle Marksmanship.

Give me someone who has never even seen a rifle in their life and I can get them to qualify (on a pop-up 300m range) in a few hours using the lessons of BRM. Shadowbox, dime-washer, breathing coaching, etc go a LONG way for someone that has 0% experience behind a trigger. it might seem trivial to you, but not every soldier is a gun enthusiast first. Some have to be made into gun enthusiasts :)

As far as safety goes, we were taught and in turn taught the basics. Trigger discipline, muzzle ALWAYS in a safe direction, identify your target and whats behind it, weapon on safe until ready to fire, always make sure your weapon is clear before leaving the firing line.

I was a POG for the record, but I taught BRM for 4 years or so and learned to shoot in the army.

Sorry joke is the wrong word.

I would never let anyone slam the bolt face on my AR with a cleaning rod, but that is exactly what happened to my M16. Calling three holes in the circle on the 25M target zero is problematic when that troop goes to take the 300M shot.

I learned to shoot in the Army too and was lucky enough to take some classes from members of the shooting team. I am not the world's best shot, but I do see the error in some of my past ways.

Last edited:
Sorry joke is the wrong word.

I would never let anyone slam the bolt face on my AR with a cleaning rod but that is exactly what happened to my M16. Calling three holes in the circle on the 25M target zero is problematic when that troop goes to take the 300M shot.

I learned to shoot in the Army too and was lucky enough to take some classes from members of the shooting team. I am not the world's best shot, but I do see the error in some of my past ways.

We used a brass rod to clear rifles, not a cleaning rod, but I hear what youre saying. Cleaning practices especially are terrible, I learned soooooo many bad cleaning practices in the Army that I would never use on my rifles now. Segmented steel cleaning rods to start.

I disagree about the 25m zero though. Getting a soldier to shoot a good 3 shot group on paper at 25m is the first step, and adjusting their sights so that the same soldier using the same rifle shooting the same way shoots on target at 25m is the next step, but it is a huge step forward. Simple math tells us a 2" group that is on-target at 25m would yield a 8" group that is on-target at 100m. Thats an on-target 24" group at 300m, good enough for man-sized targets. The zero is only half the equation though, we were taught bullet drop and how to compensate for POA also. We were also told how to use the rear sight elevation adjustment on an A2 upper but never actually did it in practice.

Shooting a consistent 4" group with iron sights on a surplus rifle with surplus ammo at 100m is tough, for me anyways, I dont know about you. However, I can shoot an 8" group at 100m without even trying. This is why BRM is important; it is not designed to make every soldier an expert, its designed to make every soldier capable of picking up a rifle, adjusting it from BFZ to their known zero, and putting consistent hits on target out to 300m. Like I said I could teach a monkey to shoot an AR15 in an afternoon haha.

So are you saying that the test is the same but you are required to achieve better than minimun? Because thats what I was saying. And for some people they qualify at 25M and some of the targets at 25m qual are around an inch

Did you AF guys only qualify on paper?

Training is only training. Like potty training a two year old. They still have to learn to take a **** in the real world.

Back
Top Bottom