• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did the military teach you (in reference to firearms) ???

Training is only training. Like potty training a two year old. They still have to learn to take a **** in the real world.

hahaha good point, all of my ****s were taken in a controlled environment with plenty of TP available and a shower nearby in case of emergencies.

We used a brass rod to clear rifles, not a cleaning rod, but I hear what youre saying. Cleaning practices especially are terrible, I learned soooooo many bad cleaning practices in the Army that I would never use on my rifles now. Segmented steel cleaning rods to start.

I disagree about the 25m zero though. Getting a soldier to shoot a good 3 shot group on paper at 25m is the first step, and adjusting their sights so that the same soldier using the same rifle shooting the same way shoots on target at 25m is the next step, but it is a huge step forward. Simple math tells us a 2" group that is on-target at 25m would yield a 8" group that is on-target at 100m. Thats an on-target 24" group at 300m, good enough for man-sized targets. The zero is only half the equation though, we were taught bullet drop and how to compensate for POA also. We were also told how to use the rear sight elevation adjustment on an A2 upper but never actually did it in practice.

Shooting a consistent 4" group with iron sights on a surplus rifle with surplus ammo at 100m is tough, for me anyways, I dont know about you. However, I can shoot an 8" group at 100m without even trying. This is why BRM is important; it is not designed to make every soldier an expert, its designed to make every soldier capable of picking up a rifle, adjusting it from BFZ to their known zero, and putting consistent hits on target out to 300m. Like I said I could teach a monkey to shoot an AR15 in an afternoon haha.

Like I said "joke" was a poor choice of words. There are plenty of jobs where basic marksmanship is all one would need.

Training is done daily, With neither your side arm or you main weapon being dominant in the coarse. You are expected to make yourself more than familiar with many weapons. Not just and M4 or M9 you are training with the OpFor weapons and its not just firing on paper you cant get any real weapons interaction with that " quals that reg military go through is a joke " Not trying to be rude yes we are on the same team. But how can you master weapons of all kind that way. I am truly proficient in any weapon you put in my hands whether its a blade or something that goes bang. In training you have live fire shoot houses and also train mission specific per your mission at hand. You train a ton at night because the majority of your movements and engagements are at night. There are training sessions that augmented for months just for a mission that will last 30 min. It is much different

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom