• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did we learn from Irma?

My neighbor tried backfeeding his breaker panel and did about $800 in damage to his electronics.

I suspect your neighbor didn't use the neutral wire and wired only two hots and a ground. Some generators need that neutral to regulate voltage between the two hot legs. He could end up with 50 volts on one leg and 170 volts on the other which lets the magic smoke out of some stuff. Four wires could be the ticket to not screwing stuff up, or so I've read on the interweb.

Also, backfeeding isn't bad if you take the proper precautions. An interlock kit for your panel keeps you from being able to backfeed onto the utility lines and only costs $50-$150 depending on what panel you have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CONE4MG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

An inlet box keeps you from having to make a suicide cord and with an interlock and inlet box, you have a perfectly legal and safe way to power your house with a generator.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Con...id=1505413333&sr=8-2&keywords=generator+inlet

Probably only costs $150 to do it right.

The negative it put a lot of people out of their homes, loss of family, and love ones, and friends. Tore up a large amount of land, ripped trees completely out of the ground. This will take years to repair, replace and rebuild.

The positive, this storm will put thousands of individuals to work, construction, removing the debris, food service, sanitary needs and services needed, medical needs, remodeling damages, rebuilding thousands of homes, RV sales and rentals, food stores, fast foods, clothing, shoes, cars, truck sales, gasoline, oil, diesel, electrical power restored and much more.

However it all comes with great costs, lives totally changed lives it mere moments, it will either turn us, TOWARD GOD, OR BLAMING GOD, which of the choices will it be that you chose, don't answer just simply think about it.

just something to simply ponder very deeply

Back
Top Bottom