• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What game animals/birds do you not care to eat?

I've had one bite of elk around a campfire on a TX hunting trip and barely remember it (I was a teenager) but that implies it was good. I really would like to try moose hunting and the meat. One of the nicest guys I ever met when I was on Woody's raved about moose meat and offered to take me hunting with him (he was from Maine). He unexpectedly died of a heart attack that same year. :grey:
I'd like to make a DIY Pronghorn and/or elk trip out west. No know how and 'life' keeps putting it off....

I have never hunted moose either but have eaten moose several times and it is delicious. Better than elk any day, but of course that is subjective.

I may have the opportunity to hunt in NE Montana this fall for whitetails and muleys...They also have grizzly and mountain lion. It will be a partial DIY hunt, but with free lodging and semi guided by the owner of the property, who is a personal friend of my Dad. It will be one more thing to scratch off the bucket list if we get to go. It has always been a dream of mine to hunt mule deer and whitetails in Montana. This place is only 20 miles from the Canadian border.

When Fort Perry game ranch (Marion County, GA.) was forced to tear down a portion of their high fence they were also forced to kill some 1,800 red stag (New Zealand species, I'm sure you're familiar) they had stocked there because they were a non native species. They were not allowed to sell the meat, and could only sell to cover the processor fees. Everybody in our camp was eating red stag meat for a long while and it was real good stuff also. A lot like elk, actually, so none of us were complaining.

It was a great trip, but frankly, luck had nothing to do with it. It took almost 30 years to make it happen.

Edit: Didn't mean this to sound snippy. Just saying that most people could go if they wanted it bad enough.

It's all good man I didn't take it that way. Maybe luck was not the right word, but still fortunate to fulfill that bucket list dream. And I do hope to make the voyage someday. Of all the meat you tried over there, which was best? I'll bet impala was tasty, and I've never eaten crocodile, but smoked gator tail is some good eatin'...Warthog too...

My grandfather was a country boy but he wasn't a hunter. When I was a kid and had just started hunting he shared with me what he called a fool-proof recipe for deer. He said it required only a deer steak and a pine board. Put the deer steak on the pine board and set it in the sun for two hours. After two hours throw away the steak and eat the pine board. Nope, he didn't care for venison.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned goose. Are they any good and does anyone have any good recipes for them? They were a novelty around these parts when I was growing up and now they are everywhere. I've shot and eaten duck before but never a goose. I've been told they aren't very good.

It's all good man I didn't take it that way. Maybe luck was not the right word, but still fortunate to fulfill that bucket list dream. And I do hope to make the voyage someday. Of all the meat you tried over there, which was best? I'll bet impala was tasty, and I've never eaten crocodile, but smoked gator tail is some good eatin'...Warthog too...

Eland Steak! Everyone in the camp could not wait until I killed an Eland. I didn't get it until the second to last day of the hunt, so they could not age it at all. It was just a little tough, but the flavor was fantastic. I understand why everyone wanted it.

The Wart Hog was surprisingly good. Very distinct pork flavor without being gamey at all.

The Leopard was very good. Very tender and delicate with a good, but subtle flavor. Pure white meat.

It was all good, but those were the standouts. The sides that were served with the meat was also incredibly good and I couldn't even identify most of them. The guy in the kitchen wasn't a camp cook, he was an honest to god chef. Tall white hat and all. The quality of the food was way beyond anything I was expecting. This was not some big hunting lodge. It was a permanent camp deep in the bush.

100_1467.jpg
This was our dinning area in the Save' Valley.

100_1709.jpg
Eland Steak.

Elands are beautiful animals, huge too! I'm hungry after looking at that steak...

Leopard...Again, the old timers out west almost always agreed mountain lion was the best meat. I would certainly love to try it, or leopard.

I would think that warthog would be tasty as hell.

What a cool place to hunt you have pictured there. I would rather the camp be out in the bush like this one. Someday....

The bearded/unbearded clam. Can be tasty but can also taste like bad shrimp. The smell is always a little fishy

How about fur burgers or whisker biscuits?

Oh and your user name reminds me...Frog legs are scrumptious. Turtle soup is quite good as well.

Elands are beautiful animals, huge too! I'm hungry after looking at that steak...

Leopard...Again, the old timers out west almost always agreed mountain lion was the best meat. I would certainly love to try it, or leopard.

I would think that warthog would be tasty as hell.

What a cool place to hunt you have pictured there. I would rather the camp be out in the bush like this one. Someday....

Let me know when you're ready. I'll hook you up with the right folks.

Back
Top Bottom