• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What game animals/birds do you not care to eat?

Notice no one said elephant, lion, rhino etc......guess we are all local and small game shooters. Just thought of another strange one: monitor lizards....don't know if you can hunt them (or they hunt you) but would be an opportunity to taste dinosaur....probably smell like frog legs.

I've had Impala, Eland, Wart Hog, Cape Buffalo, Wildebeest, Bush Buck, Crocodile, and Leopard. All of it was delicious, but that may have to do with the fact that experts were preparing it. Five star dinning an hour and a half from the nearest paved road. Africa is a special place.

I like all game, but strangely, I like deer venison the least of them. Elk, on the other hand, may be the best red meat on the planet.

I've had Impala, Eland, Wart Hog, Cape Buffalo, Wildebeest, Bush Buck, Crocodile, and Leopard. All of it was delicious, but that may have to do with the fact that experts were preparing it. Five star dinning an hour and a half from the nearest paved road. Africa is a special place.

I like all game, but strangely, I like deer venison the least of them. Elk, on the other hand, may be the best red meat on the planet.

What I had was ranch raised, but I concur!!!

Ever tried moose? Delicious. Elk is quite good too. Deer is great to me and has only gotten better for me with time. Antelope is something I do not care for at all. Never tried it but all the old timers from the west swore that mountain lion was the best meat out there.

Never tried any of the African game. Would love to go on a safari someday, though. You're a lucky man, Bear.

Don't really like dove, or duck. Love quail and rabbit.

Last edited:
If i ate one i ate 1000 cuda's whitest freshest meat you can eat, always kept them under 24'', lived in Lafayette Louisiana for 10 years and think i ate everything that walked,fly's,swim's and crawl's. If it wasn't boiled it was cooked in roux,sauce,smoked,or in a etouffee and last deep fried. And yes we ate everything. I still think that God blessed Louisiana with the most friendly people in the world.
My hometown! Yep, I miss the food and people (and culture) terribly! :yo: The weather? Not so much... :grey:

Ever tried moose? Delicious. Elk is quite good too.
I've had one bite of elk around a campfire on a TX hunting trip and barely remember it (I was a teenager) but that implies it was good. I really would like to try moose hunting and the meat. One of the nicest guys I ever met when I was on Woody's raved about moose meat and offered to take me hunting with him (he was from Maine). He unexpectedly died of a heart attack that same year. :grey:
I'd like to make a DIY Pronghorn and/or elk trip out west. No know how and 'life' keeps putting it off....

I don't like lamb but thats about it for meat that is typically tabled in the south. Guess feral hogs as well. Nasty ****ers the lot of them. Got to hunt them from a copter once. Pretty crazy ordeal. Grandfather in Texas hires a group of people to do it for $100 an hour. Told him I would do it full time for half that but was a no go.

Ever tried moose? Delicious. Elk is quite good too. Deer is great to me and has only gotten better for me with time. Antelope is something I do not care for at all. Never tried it but all the old timers from the west swore that mountain lion was the best meat out there.

Never tried any of the African game. Would love to go on a safari someday, though. You're a lucky man, Bear.

Don't really like dove, or duck. Love quail and rabbit.

It was a great trip, but frankly, luck had nothing to do with it. It took almost 30 years to make it happen.

Edit: Didn't mean this to sound snippy. Just saying that most people could go if they wanted it bad enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom