• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the best American 22lr bolt action on the market…

My father was a very accomplished bench rest shooter. He cleaned after every other card. (10 score rounds plus sighters). Countless trophies. It's been ingrained. If I went "hundreds of rounds" without cleaning any of my center-fire rifles I'd surely develop a case of terminal hives.

Another vote for the B14R. I just got one a few weeks ago and love it!

Also, Savage Mark II for a really cheap option. Not sure if they are made in America though, they say some are made in US some in Canada..
I'm not one to knock Savage, in fact, I had a Savage single shot, right bolt, left port F class gun that was one of the best shooting guns I've ever owned but their rimfire accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm not one to knock Savage, in fact, I had a Savage single shot, right bolt, left port F class gun that was one of the best shooting guns I've ever owned but their rimfire accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.
And if used under any sort of outside stress, the mags tend to fall apart and POI changes with differing pressures on the stock

And if used under any sort of outside stress, the mags tend to fall apart and POI changes with differing pressures on the stock

Mine shoots CCI Standard just as well as my Bergara, I know that's a sample size of one but, everyone I know that shoots NRL22 with them, theirs shoots great too. My main issue with them is the cheap parts they use for the extractor - I've had some failure to extract with mine but, Savage sent me some replacement parts so, not a huge deal for a $200 rifle. The mags have been known to fall apart but, you can hammer the pins that hold the mags together to "stake" them in place. And yes the factory stock is terrible but, you can upgrade that as well, it all depends on what you wanna do with it and how much money you wanna spend on it at once but, overall for a really cheap gun I can't really complain too much about it.

I really hate that I missed this all of this.

After a .22 night match last year a deer was found dead at 300 yards the next morning. It had stepped out in front of the 300 yard target, caught a round in the head, and was DRT.

I clean my rimfire before every match which usually winds up being every 200-500 rounds. Bronze brush, over the crown, change directions in the barrel. Over 40k rounds through it and still hammered. Getting a new barrel now but only because I wanted a heavier contour.

I really hate that I missed this all of this.

After a .22 night match last year a deer was found dead at 300 yards the next morning. It had stepped out in front of the 300 yard target, caught a round in the head, and was DRT.

I clean my rimfire before every match which usually winds up being every 200-500 rounds. Bronze brush, over the crown, change directions in the barrel. Over 40k rounds through it and still hammered. Getting a new barrel now but only because I wanted a heavier contour.
Night 22 match? Where do I find such things?

Back
Top Bottom