• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the best American 22lr bolt action on the market…

Damn I am cleaning to damn much
I think if you are going to store one mostly and only shoot it from time to time it's understandable, but if the gun gets regular use don't expect it to be overly consistent between cleanings. When I get a call from an agency/entity about rifles not shooting as expected the first thing I ask is about cleaning schedule. Most agencies have a written policy on cleaning that is more geared toward handguns and AR platforms. They cookie cut that over to their precision rifles because on the surface it makes sense. Typically once they adopt a schedule that leaves the barrel alone for as long as possible, they find the accuracy and consistency they were looking for.

I don't clean my centerfire precision barrels until about 600 rounds on average, they typically don't start opening up until about 750-900. I tried break-ins and cleaning schedules and the only thing it got me was easier cleaning and a quicker white patch. Did nothing for accuracy so I stopped it altogether. I could live with nothing but a bore snake every now and then.
I also stopped cleaning my rifles so much....I've decided to let it "lay" until accuracy starts to fall off...what ever the round count may be...it would take me several years to reach the 600 mark....
20200416_150004.jpg

I think if you are going to store one mostly and only shoot it from time to time it's understandable, but if the gun gets regular use don't expect it to be overly consistent between cleanings. When I get a call from an agency/entity about rifles not shooting as expected the first thing I ask is about cleaning schedule. Most agencies have a written policy on cleaning that is more geared toward handguns and AR platforms. They cookie cut that over to their precision rifles because on the surface it makes sense. Typically once they adopt a schedule that leaves the barrel alone for as long as possible, they find the accuracy and consistency they were looking for.
I used to clean all the copper out after every session...Now i just run a cpl patches through it unless I am going to not be shooting for a while. copper gonna copper.

edit...I clean the chamber every session.

Since we are talking precision 22s, here's a couple of questions.

1) Do you preform a barrel break in? If so, what procedure?

2) Do you clean the barrel regularly or are you of the school that says the more lead in the barrel of a 22, the better?

I never do barrel break ins. Just shoot. Especially if you have a custom barrel installed.

I clean all my rifles every 2-300 rounds or until accuracy drops off.

My match guns are all .5 - .75 MOA for 5 shot groups. It’s not bench rest by any means, but it’s good enough for PRS matches.

I clean my .22LRs, but with only a wet patch and a jag. Never a bronze/steel/brass brush after the initial cleaning. Just a habit over 40 years. I also only use lead (lubed) bullets in my target 22s.

Centerfire I clean after every match or session (usually). I'm going to start leaving the bores alone now to see what happens to accuracy. Everything else that's subject to fouling will get a cleaning though.

Cleaning is barrel dependent some require more than others to stay consistent. At the very least I run a brush just past the chamber of a rimfire then push the crud out with a patch. Usually takes a a few rounds on a sighter to build the lube back up and it starts shooting. I’ve never had a center fire barrel that shot consistent groups past 120 rounds or so without cleaning. The lv and hv heart barrels I have now open up after 55-60 rounds and that’s usually when I can feel some carbon starting past the camber with a patch. Having said all that I’ve found more consistency in groups with cleaning as much as i can as I’m not as close to the fouling degrading consistency and it falling off during a match. I will say there are a few br guys who don’t clean as much and they win some but I’ve seen them load and tune like crazy chasing it up and down when I and others who clean more are basically shooting the same charge or preloading before a match.

Back
Top Bottom