• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the gun related bystander law in GA?

What about the people who can't protect themselves? True everyone has the right to protect themselves, but what about the ones that can't? Suppose your walking down a local street and you see a thug holding a knife to a: person with a mental disability, an elderly person, a child/teen or a physically handicapped person having their life threatened, do you just turn the other way and walk off or do you help? Some people cant afford guns to defend their selfs some people, by past actions/convictions cant own guns. I agree we cant go all Charles Bronson and just go looking for trouble, but as decent citizens and firearms owners I think if we come across something like that we have the duty to act. I think it's what separate a us as decent humans from the ones who make the human race look bad. Just my view.

There was a recent case in Athens where a career criminal was seriously beating up a woman on a main downtown street. A 61 year citizen driving down the street stopped, and pulled iron on the thug and told the thug that he would shoot him if he didn't stop. Thug ran off, and was later caught. The criminal was holding a pistol he had just stolen. Even in wacky Clarke County, where the criminals are always right, the citizen was recognized as a hero. He was quoted as saying that if the criminal had turned toward him, he would have shot him.

Not sure about specifics, but a few years ago in Albany ( imagine that), a woman was being attacked outside of a restaurant. One of the other patrons was leaving and saw what was happening, so he pulled his gun and shot at least one of the perps.
The gentleman was not charged in the shooting.

What about the people who can't protect themselves? True everyone has the right to protect themselves, but what about the ones that can't? Suppose your walking down a local street and you see a thug holding a knife to a: person with a mental disability, an elderly person, a child/teen or a physically handicapped person having their life threatened, do you just turn the other way and walk off or do you help? Some people cant afford guns to defend their selfs some people, by past actions/convictions cant own guns. I agree we cant go all Charles Bronson and just go looking for trouble, but as decent citizens and firearms owners I think if we come across something like that we have the duty to act. I think it's what separate a us as decent humans from the ones who make the human race look bad. Just my view.

Take the firearm out of the equation. Simply put - if you're a witness to someone being hurt by another, are you going to try to assist or are you going to pull up your skirt and click your heels down the road?

I have no problem helping in either situation. I was just giving what if. Don't worry I won't and haven't hesitated.

everyone has the right to stop a felony

But you only can use deadly force to stop a forcible felony where there is a threat to someone's person. There are felonies where the use of deadly force would not be justified, which across the country is one of the common pitfalls for citizens. You can't shoot someone stealing a lawnmower out of your front yard.

Back
Top Bottom