• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What things cause you to stop a deal mid-way?

had one guy once who would only text,dropped him like a bad habit

I generally only text, unless absolutely necessary. I have severe anxiety when talking on the phone (thanks PTSD), so I try to communicate digitally as much as possible.

Yep, have definitely had a few people back out of the deal, when I've told them I prefer to text.

Oh well.

I've passed on several milsurp deals from younger people who said they inherited it but their stories made me doubt that they really owned the weapon. Seemed that they might have lifted it from grandpa's house or got it by some other shady means.

I get this feeling a lot about some of the "inherited firearms."

Already flushed a couple out asking "who administered the estate."

I generally only text, unless absolutely necessary. I have severe anxiety when talking on the phone (thanks PTSD), so I try to communicate digitally as much as possible.

Yep, have definitely had a few people back out of the deal, when I've told them I prefer to text.

Oh well.
but do you do PM's? He wouldn't do PMs at all.

but do you do PM's? He wouldn't do PMs at all.

I had one guy that wouldn't do PMs. Just refused, had some lame excuse. Cut him loose.

I tell folks up front that when I'm away from the computer, I can't do PMs, but will confirm everything in a text.

That's fair. Folks who will only use one method of communication, particularly one outside of ODT, tend to make me walk away. I PM up until the last few moments of the meet, where I will send a text to confirm that I'm on time (or if not, ETA), etc. Not everyone checks ODT on their phone, so I like to make sure communication stays solid.

I will grant that there are certain things you can learn via a phone call, absolutely. But then you have the sellers/traders that you message and request more photos....and their response is "Call me, xxx-xxx.xxxx...."

With no offense to the verbal skills of our members, I haven't met anyone (and I include myself in this) who can describe a firearm as well as a photo does, lol.

As another example of one that I walked from recently....fella was selling a pistol, emailed me from one address...then half way through the conversation, wanted me to email him at a different address...neither of them matching the name that he provided. Like, bobsmith@gmail, and Susan.Jones@yahoo...but his name was Mario something. Hmmmm.....nope.

Dodging clear answers on specific questions, especially about the deal or the price = I am out!
Oh and a recent one is FNGs in the buyer role and asking for delivery an hour or so away.
Dominos of ODT, LOL.

When I see the seller's drone overhead filming me.
I fired that clown. Y'all ain't supposed to see the damned thing. He couldn't shoot 1/4" groups at 1,900 yards like he said he could either so that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Back
Top Bottom