What's considered a good grouping at 7 yards rapid fire?

OP, you need to decide what you want to focus on, COMBAT SHOOTING or COMPETITION SHOOTING. They are two completly different skill sets.

You are getting opinions from both sides of the hallway in this thread.

That target group size is an excellent example of COMBAT SHOOTING and with a little additional instruction you can be consistantly doing that very fast, while moving very quickly (read running) laterally and away from the bad guy. It is not a skill set that requires years of training/experience.

Shooting is all about the balance of SPEED and PRECISION. As SPEED increases PRECISION decreases, an increase in PRECISION requires a reduction in SPEED. COMBAT SHOOTING is all about that balance while consistantly hitting the high upper chest, about an 8 inch circle, as fast as you can.

Everything else is some form of TARGET or COMPETITION shooting..........a subject I know very little about.

for me i'd like to focus more on combat shooting because that's the only time i see myself actually using this weapon unless i'm at the range blowing off steam. with that in mind. i want to be able to use my weapons proficiently enough so that if (i really hope it never does) i had to draw my pistol, i'm able to take care of myself and my gf if she's near me.

OP, you need to decide what you want to focus on, COMBAT SHOOTING or COMPETITION SHOOTING. They are two completly different skill sets.

You are getting opinions from both sides of the hallway in this thread.

That target group size is an excellent example of COMBAT SHOOTING and with a little additional instruction you can be consistantly doing that very fast, while moving very quickly (read running) laterally and away from the bad guy. It is not a skill set that requires years of training/experience.

Shooting is all about the balance of SPEED and PRECISION. As SPEED increases PRECISION decreases, an increase in PRECISION requires a reduction in SPEED. COMBAT SHOOTING is all about that balance while consistantly hitting the high upper chest, about an 8 inch circle, as fast as you can.

Everything else is some form of TARGET or COMPETITION shooting..........a subject I know very little about.

This pretty much says it all. Decide your focus point and work on it. Several tours in the sandbox both in service and PSC plus LE and PSC domestically I have no doubt in my combat shooting proficiency I doubt I could be much of a match on the target courses for some of these guys. Having said that, things change when the targets are shooting back and target shooting on a memorized course with a weapon set up for target shooting doesn't really prove anything in real threat situations. fighting with a pistol is very different than just shooting it. Everyone's reactions are different.

I'd say try both. Go out and shoot some competitions at a novice level and also try some combat pistol courses. See what suits you and what you enjoy the most then focus on that.

Lots of good advice & relevent opinions on here so far.

In our classes we do make a distinction between "combat effective" shooting vs. "precision marksmanship".

It is important for a fairly new shooter to get their basic fundamentals down first before trying to go too fast, too soon.
If there are flaws in their trigger control & followthrough when shooting slower it typically doesn't get better the faster they shoot.

Once that foundation is established it is advisable to push yourself (safely) to speed up... especially at closer distances.
Some shooters we have to speed up... others we have to slow down.
I believe Jeff cooper called it, "Diligentia Vis, Celeritas" or Accuracy, Power, Speed.

Learning to execute clean draws from concealment & firing fast strings of fire at close distances
(1'-9') is such an important skillset that we introduce it in our Basic Classes & encourage others regardless of who you train with or where you train at to practice it.

Shooting from close retention is a very likely position from which you may have to defend yourself & you don't want the first time that you do it to be your first time EVER.
Learning how to quickly get off of the "X" is also very important.
These are two areas that many schools are focusing on heavily more than ever for a good reason.

Back
Top Bottom