• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's on the grill tonight?

I’ve done a lot of briskets and the one I did last weekend was the best one yet. Bought from Kroger when they on sale at $1.99/lb. Pick one that has the thickest flat. Here is exactly what I did and on the Recteq 590 with Sams club pellets.

Trimmed all brown edges, hard fat pockets, left about 1/8” of fat on bottom, all fat on meat side. About 4lbs total. Make a small cut in point so you know where to slice once it’s cooked.

Injection - 1 cup beef broth, 1/4 cup of melted butter, 2tbls of Meatchurch Holy Cow rub. Injected a little meow than half of it and put the rest in fridge to use later.

Rubbed everywhere pretty heavy with the Meatchurch, then sprinkled everywhere with Montreal Steak Rub

Cover with plastic wrap and in the fridge for 24hrs.

Set temp to 225deg, wait till reaches temp and place in RecTeq. Put on probe in flat and one in the point so that they are in the middle of the meat.

Don’t open grill, wait until both probes hit 165deg and wrap. Point will lag some so it ok if flat is 165 and point is 161 for example.

Wrap - I have tried paper, aluminum foil but my favorite is to use an aluminum pan then cover tight with aluminum foil. This keep all the juices and is delicious. Before covering, pour the rest of injection over top.

Pull at 204deg, cover aluminum pan with beach towel and put in cooler for 2-4hrs.

Separate point from flat and slice into 1/4” starting where you made your mark earlier. Point you can either slice or cut into 1” squares for burnt ends. I usually do burnt ends.

Friggin awesome!

4E69D7EC-6900-4F6E-8F23-36DAF7D3361E.jpeg
7FE7566F-52DC-41A8-95C0-9C8BD8F9243C.jpeg
0E35DF5D-D40C-44A7-9D49-C4D80FC870B3.jpeg
C22926A6-F13C-44F2-9113-707AFA042363.jpeg
64F3260E-E692-46B4-9A54-2C8B7B6C2DF9.jpeg

I’ve done brisket before and just been so-so to me. Butts, ribs, chicken are perfect. I really want to learn before I try another. Can/should you separate the cap from the point and cook separately? Good YT channels where I can learn more? How do you know exactly where to slice? XL BGE user for years and love it. Thanks all.

I’ve done brisket before and just been so-so to me. Butts, ribs, chicken are perfect. I really want to learn before I try another. Can/should you separate the cap from the point and cook separately? Good YT channels where I can learn more? How do you know exactly where to slice? XL BGE user for years and love it. Thanks all.
I separated the flat from the point because I only want to ruin half the meat, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom