• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats the best way to long term store an AR

EEzox seems to be one of the very best rust preventatives, and it can be had cheap in quantity. But really, what's going to happen in two years? Oil it, focusing on the steel parts, put it in a plastic bag, throw in some dessicant if you feel like it (blue crystal cat litter is the cheapest, though cook it first at 220 for four hours and then put it in an old sock). Double or triple-garbage-bag it.

The militaries use Cosmoline, but that's for decades of storage, under unknown conditions. And a pain to remove. But highly, highly effective. Probably 10,000 years won't affect the metal of a Cosmolined gun.

I use the VDI film for long term storage, then put it in a good gun sock for impact protection. This is in a safe in a climate controlled house though.

If it was a garage or outdoors, I'd definitely add a sealable VCI bag as well, and maybe one of those PVC storage tubes.

When I deployed I locked my guns up in the safe with a golden rod, but first I would a light coat of CLP and place them in a Silicone Sock that they sell at BP, Cabelas etc. I never had any problems and Fayetteville was more humid than here in the Atlanta area.

I inherited a Colt 1911 that had spent at least 10 years that I know of ,
heavily oiled down in a cheap plastic foam lined case ... NOT a mark on it

Maybe I'm just lucky
Just figured the foam might degrade over time and stick to the metal or damage it in some way. I could be wrong. I don't have any personal experience with storing guns long term.

Back
Top Bottom