• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which 1911?

I have several. It just depends on your budget. I have a custom Colt that was 3 times the investment of my stainless Taurus but has nowhere near as many features as the Taurus factory 1911. I saw a used one on here for $500.00 the other day. It's hard to beat that.

The Para is a good 1911 platform for the money. If you have the budget, then by all means, go get yourself a bobbed Wesson and post pics! It's a personal choice in the end-but you need to know your budget limitations.

If you're just getting in to 1911 platform, I would just buy an American made entry level gun. Shoot the heck out of it to figure out what features you want/need, then shop for your keeper. Read lots of reviews, but also remember... "Your mileage may vary"

Start with a full size model. If you can get an original WWI or WWII, or perhaps a pre-series 70 colt, and then decide you do not like it, you can probably sell it for more or less what you paid for it.

However, back to the real world for most of us, it is hard to beat the Ruger SR1911 for an off the shelf pistol. About $700 retail.

New American made Production Gun with a forged frame/slide....
If you want a reliable true series 70 gun with the absolute minimum amount od MIM parts (sear, disconnector, mag release).......Colt Government Model for about $870 plus tax

If you want a reliable true series 70 internal gun with a few more MIM parts.....Springfield Armory Mil-Spec for about $640 plus tax

Both Colt and Springfield make a very good entry level production gun and both have excellent customer service.

There are many other foreign made options and a few American made options with cast frames that come in $100 to $200 less that the above. Many who own them are very satisfied with their reliability. I am not a fan of cast frame 1911s, so I wouldn't consider them for an initial purchase, but YMMV on that issue. If it does I would look at the RIA 5 inch Government Model or a Ruger. Both RIA and Ruger have excellent customer service too.

Custom Guns........The possibilities, and price too, are almost endless.

If you want to buy a brand new one, go to GA Gun store. They are over $100 cheaper than most people on some of their 1911's. Especially Sigs.
I have a smith and Wesson e-series that I love. Also a Sig C3. So many choices for 1911's.
Don't listen to the people who say only buy a Colt.....

Back
Top Bottom