• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which caliber would you pick

Just curious... what do folks consider 'medium' game, as in the OPs initial statement "...It will be for hunting small to medium sized game..."?

Personally I think of 'small game' as things like squirrels and 'medium' would be racoons up through small coyotes and such.

To me deer is the probably the lower end of 'big game'.
Deer are considered medium. In the context of the OP, I'm thinking small would be things like yotes and such. Remember that none of the calibers he listed may be used for classic small game animals in Georgia.

Just remember he stated KEEP IT UNDER $800.00, that knocks out 6.5 Creedmoor, 243 takes most any animal in N.A....
No it doesn't. Plenty of 6.5 rifles under that mark. Hell, you can get a Ruger American Predator for under $400 or a Savage Axis even under that.

RAP: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/93389
Saw one at Georgia gun store for $365 or $375.

But at any rate, 243 or 6.5 would be good to go. I would scratch 22-250 off that list.

.243 without a doubt.

6.5 creed is for 600-1000 yards.
It's a precision target round.

The .243 Win is no accuracy slouch. One of the top rifle shooters in America from south Georgia (John Whidden) set aside his .308 and used a .243 with great results. It was perfectly standard factory chambering (no wildcatting, no mods to the shoulder or neck). However, for long ranges he did use extra heavy bullets about 110 gr. and he had to have a faster twist barrel of 1 to 8 to accommodate that.

The 22–250 is a varmint and predator round. I would not recommend it for medium sized game, although it could work.

The .243 is perfect for medium game out to 300 yards.
With a 1 to 10 twist, the rifle should be good with bullets from 55 to 100 grains. Shoot groundhogs, shoot beavers, or shoot a 200 pound deer or even a 600 pound elk

I have no particular suggestion about the rifle. It could be a Remington 700, it could be a savage model 110, it could be a Weatherby Vanguard, it could be a Ruger 77 or even the Ruger American. Or others.

6.5 creedmoor is an excellent hunting round and is good from 0 to 600 for hunting
Customer using a 6.5 creedmoor I built for him earlier this year, He also took a 300wsm I made him but he said the Creedmoor performed so well that he didn't even break it out.

20430026_505605553117288_1161201112685053043_n.jpg

In Georgia deer are almost medium game. I know that because I spent a week up in Coosawattee River Resort in a cabin on the water. When we go we always buy one of those huge bags of dear corn. I had about 20 or 30 deer that would show up after I whistled and threw the first plastic cup of deer corn. I didn't see on big deer there and they have property owner and lessors feeding them constantly. Hell a 357 would drop one of those deer. I know you like the 243 but hell that's overkill for deer here. I would buy a 800 dollar AR15 and buy a really good barrel in 6.5 grendel barrel. It will do 300 yards no sweat and you could eventually modify it into one those sexy looking Ar15's. It the best of both worlds. You get a great little round and you change to one of 4 or 5 calibers down the line. Then there is of course my favorite imtermediat cartridge the 6.8 spcII. I traded 500 rounds of 6.8 soft tip rounds for 800 or so of FMJ 5.56. He said the soft tip rounds destroy to much meat and he had to go to a different round. The rounds I got were Silver State Armory soft point Pro Hunters. Go Figure? I got them cause they sounded like they would make an excellent home defense round. MASSIVE TISSUE DAMAGE!

I have gotten way off topic now so I change my recommendation to the 243. Only because I can see you leaning that way any how. I love the round as well and I have always wanted one but just can't seem to make the purchase.

RedX, the OP didn't ask about hunting on safari in Africa.
Nor did he ask for a good all-around cartridge to hunt "any game animal in the lower 48 states."

Hayata, he did not ask about ringing steel at 1000 yards.
He said 100 yards most of the time, but he wants it to reach to 300 just in case.
And it's only for small and medium sized game. I assume that means up to a whitetail deer upvto 180 lbs, or a feral hog of similar size.

A 6.5 Creedmore is overkill. It's like using a 30-06 to hunt woodchucks or a 338 magnum to hunt elk. It may kill the animals, sure, but it it unnecessarily loud and powerful and EXPENSIVE used as such.
With 120 gr. bullets at 3100 f.p.s., and 2500 ft./lbs. of energy at the muzzle, this is a lot of wasted power to pop a coyote at 100 yds.

Back
Top Bottom