• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which gives less bang for the buck?

brownbmo

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
199   0
Reaction score
i shoot a lot of .22 and .9 mm. I have never gotten to shoot one suppressed, but I have a can for my H&K USP which is fun.

With the Silencerco special I was wanting to add another. Which one will give me the best sound reduction using standard ammo? Do both require Subsonic ammo to have a real effect?
Just looking for suggestions from those who have shot either. Thanks.

I love my Sparrow(22). It make me giggle when all you can do is hear the firing pin. Put it on a bolt gun and you can shoot alll day for cheap.

If you don't have a dedicated. 22 can that's what I would get. I have a Sparrow and on my FV-SR it's like a dream. I plan on getting some sort of .30 cal can on this deal

i shoot a lot of .22 and .9 mm. I have never gotten to shoot one suppressed, but I have a can for my H&K USP which is fun.

With the Silencerco special I was wanting to add another. Which one will give me the best sound reduction using standard ammo? Do both require Subsonic ammo to have a real effect?
Just looking for suggestions from those who have shot either. Thanks.

9mm requires subsonic to take advantage of a suppressor. 147gr and up is usually subsonic. American Eagle Suppressor 9mm is 124 great though.

.22 you have bulk high velocity which is usually subsonic out of a 4.5-5" or less barrel. Then you have standard velocity like CCI standard that is subsonic and then you have subsonic like Remington, Gemtech, and AE Suppressor which to me is even quieter.

.22 is going to be cheaper and quieter to shoot then 9mm.

What can do you already have?

Get a SpectreII and have fun. Depending on gun and ammo (standard 1060 fps or under 5" barrel) it will sound like a pellet gun. If you have a bolt 22lr, things just get stupid quiet with standard velocity ammo. Click, thump, bolt action and casing hitting ground, repeat.

I got a video of me running CCI Standard, Gemtech 22, and I think Remington Subsonic through my FVSR and Sparrow. If I can figure out how to upload it I'll post it up but yeah its quiet.

I've seen a lot of 22 LR silencers used side-by-side with me on the range, and I've never noticed any major brand silencer, or even a couple homemade ones, that was noticeably quieter than the others .
I myself ended up buying an AAC Pilot, but not because it was better. It was simply because that's what my local class III dealer happened to carry.

As others have said, barrel length and the ammunition used mean a lot. I say "everything."

Standard velocity ammo (match ammo), even if not marked as sub sonic) seems to perform subsonically out of my 5 inch barrel Buck Mark, and my 22 inch barrel rifle.

Another Sparrow owner here.

Barrels 4.5" or less will keep bulk pack .22 ammo subsonic.

For a barrel longer than 4.5" you'll need to buy subsonic .22 ammo.

As others have said, get the 22.

The only downside with the Silencerco rebate is there is not much in the way of rimfire accessories you can purchase so I'd figure out how you're going to spend your $200 first.

With the slowdown there are lots of good deals popping up and they're only going to get better.

I've seen a lot of 22 LR silencers used side-by-side with me on the range, and I've never noticed any major brand silencer, or even a couple homemade ones, that was noticeably quieter than the others .
I myself ended up buying an AAC Pilot, but not because it was better. It was simply because that's what my local class III dealer happened to carry.

As others have said, barrel length and the ammunition used mean a lot. I say "everything."

Standard velocity ammo (match ammo), even if not marked as sub sonic) seems to perform subsonically out of my 5 inch barrel Buck Mark, and my 22 inch barrel rifle.

With regards to .22 suppressors one vs the other it generally comes down to the details vs the sound.

Length and weight factor in when you're talking little 22 host which are generally smaller and lighter than centerfire host.

What materials is it made out of? .22 is dirty and so if you have stainless internals you can dip them vs if you have aluminum.

Design: one of the features I like about the Sparrow is that it has a clam shell design so I can still get it apart fairly easy compared to other rimfire cans.

So at the end of the day while must might sound the same or close theres a reason why some are more expensive than others.

Back
Top Bottom