• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who else here loses money EVERY time they sell a firearm?

Would you sell a firearm for more than you paid for it?

• Total voters
A number of years ago, I got a great deal on a used Beretta Vertec Inox 92F. Mechanically fine, but the original owner wore it as his carry, but he had really nasty sweat and I had to have the frame refinished and cerakoted.

I rebuilt it as a 'ghost' Beretta (stainless parts). So I put maybe $120 of work into a $300 used gun and found a willing buyer at $750 - so I made some money on that one, but overall, nah. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect to make a profit on a new or near-new firearm I buy, use extensively, and then sell.
How about your travel expenses to pick it up? How much were your inflation loses over the period of ownership?

Even with the cost of the original purchase, shipping, taxes, etc., along with any upgrades, TLC time, accessories, selling at a true profit is debatable.
It ain't like the jalopy you buy new and it depresses 20% as soon as you drive it off the lot...

Or is it...? :madgrin:

If you bought a used car, fixed it up to include a top grade turbo, would you sell it not to include the turbo upgrade?

Would you sell a well maintained, accurate, well cared for rifle with an expensive scope, but just throw in the scope/upgrade because you are a nice guy dumba$$?

How about your travel expenses to pick it up? How much were your inflation loses over the period of ownership?

Oh, if I priced all of those things in and accounted for them it would be clear that I saw the gun as a financial asset that I fully expected to sell.

That would have the ATF down on me like a ton of bricks!

Just throwing this out there but - if there is no bill of sale how would anyone know if a profit was made, they couldn't know what the firearm was purchased for or what it was sold for. I think the only people that they are really concerned with are those that make hundreds of sales or purchases, but who the hell knows. I can tell you this though - when the government is involved, there is no such thing as common sense or proof, they get what they want and unlike 'we the people' are not constrained by the same rules.

Just throwing this out there but - if there is no bill of sale how would anyone know if a profit was made, they couldn't know what the firearm was purchased for or what it was sold for. I think the only people that they are really concerned with are those that make hundreds of sales or purchases, but who the hell knows. I can tell you this though - when the government is involved, there is no such thing as common sense or proof, they get what they want and unlike 'we the people' are not constrained by the same rules.

If I don't get a billow sale, how am I gonna prove to the police it wasn't me that shot that dude in the drug sale down inside the Perimeter that went wrong?

We are beset with risks when we sell a gun. Maybe I'd better just put all mine back in the safe.

images (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom