• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who Owns & Carries a Slim Single-Stack 9mm?

Ok, I'll be that guy. I've been carrying a SCCY the last three months or so. The size is good, is reliable with 124 gr. GDHP. I used to carry the G26/27 in summer, this is a big difference. The trigger is different, I know. But not unlike the hammerless J frames. Presents well and consistent hits. Ok, it's a double stack, but small. Please forgive me. :becky:

Attachments

• KIMG0250.jpeg
    KIMG0250.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 23
Ok, I'll be that guy. I've been carrying a SCCY the last three months or so. The size is good, is reliable with 124 gr. GDHP. I used to carry the G26/27 in summer, this is a big difference. The trigger is different, I know. But not unlike the hammerless J frames. Presents well and consistent hits.
How does the trigger compare to a J frame or kahr?

Comedy aside, I have never seen a single stack 9mm that I would call a true pocket gun. I don't see how guys can do it. Even with baggy pants and sagging pockets the smallest 9mm isn't that small.

In for responses and please share your holster and carry methods.

350e9d082f9a7c1532dcef367867172b.jpg

4cb5d222eeb986056495d83593449218.jpg

OK, worrywarts, here's the update I promised. :) To recap, the OP asked about specific guns, and I'd had great success with the XDs 9 (2 of them). I liked the .45 also, but it was just a little heavier when loaded so I got rid of it. My EDC for about 6 months has been a Walther PPS M2 LE edition. I said I loved it but had never fired it (and some thought that might not a the best practice).

1st, the XDs 9 is great but it won't handle Hornady Critical Duty. Mine (and others, per internet research) experienced routine FTFs. The reason, I've read, is that Critical Duty rounds are ever so slightly shorter than other brands and hang up on the feed ramp. Don't use that ammo and it's a great gun.

2nd, I went to the range this morning and fired the PPS. Just like the XDs, it's bulls-eye accurate out of the box. I fired about 70 rounds, 50 cheap target ammo and the rest Hornady Critical Defense. With my trifocal progressive lenses I can't see the front sight unless I tilt my head back and look through the lowest part of the lens. Doing that, I got some bulls-eyes and mostly 2" groups from 15 and 20 feet. Without the extra effort, all sights and the target blurred, I got 6" groups. No mechanical issues whatsoever.

Of the two, I prefer the Walther. It's just a little slimmer, a little lighter, but it feels a lot slimmer and lighter.

Worrywarts Part II . . . I figured I had about 98% odds that the Walther PPS would be good out of the box, so I didn't worry too much about getting range time right away. Here's something to worry about, though:

I have several holsters, one being a Fobus Evolution paddle holster. It's supposed to have a passive retention system that releases upon a rapid, upward draw. Although it seemed to work just as advertised in the beginning, I didn't practice it more than a few times, and much later I learned it just didn't work that way in real life. I learned with practice that twisting slightly inward (bottom of magazine toward the body) while drawing does the trick. The gun was fine, but the holster could have been a deal-killer in an emergency situation.

My point, of course, is that it's important to make sure the whole system works properly, not just the weapon itself.

My neighbor, who's new to shooting, is thinking sbout a Sig P365 for EDC. I went online and found numerous horror stories about what a POS they are, and how Sig says there are no problems. Anyone got first-hand knowledge about them?
I picked up my P365 mid April. So far I'm around 8000 rounds with 1 Federal Aluminum FTE. That happened around 120 rounds of rapid fire. I've put 5 or 6 different brands and grains through it. 115, 124, 124+P, 135, 148 grains. Over 700 rounds of Aluminum. One FTE after all that. It's my EDC.
Only thing not original is the white crayon on the slide & mags.
5bd6f3631cb56c19e898cfd54fd459c9.jpg
a0eb0c7f70451434b131046f1ce1b083.jpg

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom